What is Dual Credit?

You are here

Dual Credit

dual credit celebrating 20 years logoDual Credit programs are a collaborative partnership between Idaho’s colleges/universities and high schools to deliver college-level courses to high school students. Dual Credit programs give these students the opportunity to receive both high school and college credits for pre-approved courses. Students who register for Dual Credit courses receive a letter grade based on work completed during the duration of the class which will be reflected on a college transcript. Credits are transferable to Idaho colleges and universities, and many other institutions outside the state.

College of Western Idaho (CWI’s) Dual Credit focus is to provide high school students with classes that meet the general education requirements for students enrolling in academic, degree-seeking programs including the General Education Academic Certificate. Students earn 36 credits that transfer to any public college or university in Idaho. CWI provides the opportunity for students to enroll in classes offered at any of our campus locations, as well as online or distance education classes. 

In addition to Dual Credit students may also receive Technical Dual Credit at CWI and other Idaho technical colleges via Idaho SkillStack. These programs include, but are not limited to: Automotive, Information Technology, Welding, Diesel Technology, Dental Assisting, just to name a few. To find out which Technical Dual Credit programs are offered at your school, contact a CWI Transition Coordinator or your high school counselor.

CWI Campus Classes

Dual Credit students may register for any classes taught directly through CWI. These classes are regular college classes with full-time students and professors. If taking a class on-campus, you will either be given leave from your high school (to attend these classes during the regular school day), or attend in the evenings.

For CWI classes to be considered "Dual Credit," students need to confirm with their high school counselor that the classes they choose will fulfill their high school graduation requirements.

Class Format Options:

  • On-Campus: Traditional, in-person courses are taught two days a week (Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday) for 75 minutes. A few classes meet once a week for 150 minutes.
  • Hybrid: Hybrid courses meet one day a week for 75 minutes, and include a robust online interaction.
  • Online: The College of Western Idaho Online Campus offers a variety of degree programs and courses that provide flexibility in meeting student's educational needs. Online courses offer the busy student the advantage of flexibility, quality instruction, and high levels of interaction. 

On-Campus or Online Deadlines

Deadline Spring 2023 Summer 2023 Fall 2023
On Campus/Online Registration Begins Nov 28 Mar 6 Apr 24
On Campus/Online Registration Deadline Jan 13 Jun 2 Aug 18
On Campus/Online Drop and Refund Deadline (No "W" grade issued) Jan 30 Jun 9 Sep 1
On Campus/Online Withdrawal Deadline ("W" grade issued) Apr 14 Jul 14 Nov 10
On Campus/Online Tuition and Fees Due May 13 Jul 29 Dec 16


High School and IDLA Deadlines

Deadline Fall Year-Long/Spring
Dual Enroll Registration Window 8/23/21 - 10/1/21 11/22/21 - 3/4/22
High School Course Drop and Refund Deadline (No "W" grade issued)  10/29/21 4/1/22
High School Course Withdrawal Deadline ("W" grade issued) 11/19/21 4/22/22
High School Course Payment Deadline 12/17/21 5/13/22

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Dual Credit?

    Dual credit is a program that allows high school students to enroll in college courses for credit prior to high school graduation. College credits earned through dual credit can be applied toward high school and college graduation and can be transferred to other colleges or universities. College courses can be completed at the high school, on the CWI campus or online.

  • What are the differences between the Dual Credit Program and the Advanced Placement Program (AP)?

    CWI's Dual Credit Program refers to classes offered to high school students for both high school and CWI college credit. Students participating in dual credit classes receive college credit for specific courses offered at their high school or courses taught on a CWI campus or online.

    Students who take dual credit courses will receive a CWI transcript with an actual letter grade for the course based on work completed during the duration of the class. Students can request that their transcript be sent to the college or university of their choice. Credits are transferable.

    The Advanced Placement (AP) program provides college credit based on performance on a cumulative exam administered in May. For exam scores of 3, 4 or 5 some colleges/universities award credit or waive a specific course. For some courses with labs, the college or university will only accept the lecture portion. For AP courses, no course grade or transcript is generated. Once the course is completed, students may choose to request that AP test scores be sent to their chosen college.

  • What is my status at CWI when I register for dual credit?

    You are an officially registered, non-degree-seeking, dual credit student of College of Western Idaho when you are enrolled in a dual credit course. You are subject to CWI's regulations including those for plagiarism, academic honesty, code of conduct, registration, tuition payment and withdrawal deadlines. To become a degree-seeking student, you must apply for undergraduate admission.

  • Are credits earned through the CWI Dual Credit Program transferable to other colleges and universities?

    CWI dual credits are accepted by all Idaho institutions of higher education. They are guaranteed to transfer, but not guaranteed to apply to your major. Please consult with the school(s) you wish to attend regarding the transferability of any college credits earned. 

    CWI is accredited through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). The NWCCU is a regional postsecondary accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation; therefore most other colleges and universities nationwide will accept CWI credits. Again, please consult with the school(s) you wish to attend regarding the transferability of any college credits earned.

  • Which campus resources are available to me as a Dual Credit student?

    As long as you are enrolled in courses at College of Western Idaho, whether on the CWI campus, online or at the high school you have full access to the same resources that other students have.  For a full list of resources please visit the Student Resources page.

  • If I want to attend CWI after graduation from high school, what do I need to do?

    Please visit the Student Resources/Transfer page for information on attending College of Western Idaho or transferring to another institution.

  • How do I request official transcripts?

    Once grades are submitted, you can request official transcripts. Students can request official transcripts through the Student ClearingHouse or download their transcripts through their MyCWI accounts beginning fall semester of 2014. The cost for requesting a transcript through MyCWI is $7.00.


Need More Info?

Executive Director, Dual Credit
Dual Credit Assistant Director
Sr. Coordinator, Dual Credit
  • Specialty: Dual Credit Non-Certificate/Associate’s degree seeking students
Advisor, Dual Credit
  • Advising Specialty: Dual Credit (for High School Students Last Names A-G)
Advisor, Dual Credit
  • Advising Specialty: Dual Credit (for High School Students Last Names P-Z)
Sr. Transition Coordinator
  • Specialty: Dual Credit CTE Programs
Coordinator, Transition
  • Specialty: Dual Credit CTE Programs