Dual Credit Counselor Handbook

You are here

Learn everything you need to know about dual credit opportunities and processes at College of Western Idaho (CWI) including registration, student expectations, campus resources, scholarship opportunities, and more to best help your students as a high school counselor. 

  • Registration Process

    Visit Dual Credit Registration for registration information and important dates. 

    High School & IDLA Classes

    To register for dual credit classes held at their high school or through Idaho Digital Learning Academy (IDLA), students will register through DualEnroll.

    • Once a student registers for a class through DualEnroll, the instructor will receive an email notification requesting electronic approval. Dual Credit will register the student for their classes once this approval is received. 
    • Parent or legal guardian permission to enroll for a CWI class is not required, but CWI will notify parents via email of a student’s decision to enroll. The student should ensure they have entered the correct parent email address for parents to be notified.

    For step-by-step instructions on registration through DualEnroll, including a how-to video, see the Register for High School or IDLA Classes tab on the Dual Credit Registration page. 

    DualEnroll Login

    Classes at CWI

    Students may choose to take dual credit classes on campus or online at CWI during the fall, spring, or summer semesters. To register, these students will complete the Dual Credit Registration Packet for each semester they plan to enroll in classes.

    • Students taking classes directly through CWI cannot register for classes through DualEnroll or myCWI. 
    • Students must obtain permission from a high school administrator and their parent or legal guardian to take classes online or on campus at CWI each semester.
    • For step-by-step instructions and additional information about registration, including how to search for classes, please review the Dual Credit Registration Instructions
    • Completed registration packets may be emailed to dualcredit@cwi.edu or taken to the Dual Credit office.

    Dual Credit Registration Packet

  • Cost

    CWI dual credit students are charged $75 per credit for any dual credit class.

    • Some classes may have additional fees (e.g., lab fees, supplies, and material fees).
    • Dual credit classes taken at the high school or through IDLA may provide students with textbooks at no cost to the student.
    • Students who complete classes online or on the CWI campus are responsible for purchasing textbooks.
    • There is no application fee required to register for dual credit classes.
    • To find out when payment is due, please refer to the Important Dates section on Dual Credit Advising & Resources

    Advanced Opportunities

    To support students in opportunities to earn college credit, Idaho’s Department of Education provides several programs through the Advanced Opportunities initiative. Through the initiative, students in grades 7 – 12 attending public school in Idaho are allocated $4,125 to use toward the cost of overload courses; dual credit classes; Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams; and professional certifications. 

    • Students may request up to $75 per credit. 
    • Advanced Opportunities funding does not cover the cost of textbooks or additional fees.
    • Funding may only be used for dual credit classes taken while in high school.  

    Students who are NOT using Advanced Opportunities funding AND do not live in Ada, Jerome, Kootenai, Twin Falls, Bonneville, or Canyon counties must complete a Certificate of Residency and return to the County Clerk’s office for processing. The county clerk will then attempt to certify the student's legal residency. If this does not occur, the student will be responsible for paying the county portion of any tuition charges.

    How to Apply for Advanced Opportunities Funding

  • Placement Testing

    Students planning to take math or English classes or who did not attend an accredited high school must verify their academic skill level by submitting ACT or SAT scores or completing placement testing prior to registering for dual credit classes on campus or online at CWI

    Math Placement

    An ACT and/or SAT exam score may be used to determine the placement of an incoming student into the appropriate mathematics course. Math placement scores must be within three (3) years of the first day the student intends to begin class. If the student does not have either ACT or SAT scores or previous college math placement, they will need to take the Math Diagnostic Test to determine placement. Students who wish to place higher than their ACT or SAT scores may also take the Math Diagnostic Test.

    • Math Placement exams are taken at the Math Solutions Center and must be scheduled in advance
    • For math review, students may utilize the Math Diagnostic Test Study Guide
    • To test, students must present a valid photo ID (driver’s license/permit, state ID, passport, permanent resident card, or current CWI or high school student ID). 
    • The Math Placement exam may be taken two (2) times. 

    English Placement

    The CWI Write Class Placement uses multiple measures such as GPA, standardized test scores, and self-assessment to direct students into the appropriate English classes.

    Upon completion, students may be placed into ENGL 101 Plus (ENGL 101P with companion course ENGL 100) or ENGL 101. Those who have a high score will be invited to apply for placement in English 102. Students may choose to take ENGL 101 Plus even if they place into a higher course.

  • Counselor Expectations

    A great way to support your dual credit students is to familiarize yourself with the CWI Dual Credit page. Here you will find: 

    Understand Division of Responsibilities

    As a high school counselor with a lot of responsibilities, we want to support you as much as possible! It works best for everyone involved if you are responsible for the high school side of things (high school graduation requirements, high school policies/procedures, etc.) and, at your best discretion, refer the student to us for any questions about their CWI classes, degrees/certificates, processes, etc.    

  • Student Expectations


    Dual credit students are considered college students. In order to prepare them to transition to college following high school, CWI requires dual credit students take the initiative to directly engage with Dual Credit with questions, concerns, or help achieving their goals. 

    Student Handbook

    For a complete list of student expectations, please refer to the Student Handbook

  • Parent/Guardian Expectations

    Promoting Self-Advocacy

    Students who participate in the dual credit program are asked to take ownership of their college education. For questions about a student's record, class assignments, or degree or certificate requirements, please encourage the student to contact Dual Credit directly prior to any parent or guardian involvement. 

    College Resources

    In order to direct students appropriately, parents and guardians are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the College resources such as Tutoring Services, the Library, and Dual Credit Advising


    Parents and guardians can support their student by listening, providing reassurance, refraining from coming to the rescue when there is a problem, and encouraging time management and a healthy balance between academics and extracurricular activities. 

  • Credit for Prior Learning


    The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) helps students receive credits based on a prior learning assessment. In essence, the CLEP exam helps students earn college credit for information and skills they have already mastered. CLEP is the most widely-accepted credit-by-examination program, accepted at more than 2,900 colleges and universities with around 33 test subject areas.

    Students who are eligible for Advanced Opportunities may use this funding to pay for the CLEP test but will need to pay any transcription fees to place the credits on a transcript, depending on the school that the student is attending.

    Contact Oster Hernandez at osterhernandez@cwi.edu for more information about CLEP testing.

    Advanced Placement

    The Advanced Placement (AP) program provides college-level testing on specific subjects. AP tests are administered in May upon completion of an AP course taken at a student's high school. At many colleges and universities, a high enough score will earn the student college credit.

    • Students who are eligible for Advanced Opportunities may use this funding to pay for the AP test but will need to pay any transcription fees to place the credits on a transcript, depending on the school that the student is attending.
    • Contact a CWI Dual Credit Advisor for more information about AP testing.

    Additional Information

    To find out which CLEP or AP score is needed for a college-level class at CWI, refer to the Prior Learning Assessment Student Handbook.

    In order to request college credit from CWI for previously earned AP or CLEP scores, the student must be:

    • planning on earning a certificate or degree from CWI
    • completing their last semester of junior year of high school or be a current senior in high school

    Students who meet the criteria above, should:

  • Advising

    CWI places a high priority on student advising and considers it an integral part of the student’s academic experience. CWI Dual Credit has three Academic Advisors dedicated primarily to assisting students in defining and achieving their academic goals and making choices consistent with their interests, aspirations, and degree requirements.

    Dual Credit Advising Referral Process

    Advising Resources

    Major/Career Exploration

    Major and career exploration is a process of exploring and choosing a college program/major or area of interest. Advisors can help students explore different options and see what may best fit their interests or career goals. Advisors can also help students interested in career exploration take a FREE MyPlan assessment.

    Certificate/Degree Planning

    Students who know which program/major they would like to pursue or are pursuing a General Education Academic Certificate and have already completed a dual credit class can meet with an advisor to get a semester-by-semester plan of what it would look like to pursue that degree.

      • The student must first fill out the High School Schedule Worksheet which tells the advisor their remaining high school schedule/high school graduation requirements. This includes a way to designate which classes the student is taking for dual credit at their high school or through IDLA.
      • After receiving the High School Schedule Worksheet, the student’s Dual Credit Advisor will see which classes they are taking through their high school and fill in the remaining classes that will be needed to complete their degree through CWI.

    When to Meet with an Advisor

    Any student who has already completed a dual credit class and is interested in earning a degree or certificate from CWI can make an appointment to meet with a Dual Credit Advisor. To see who best to contact and how to schedule an appointment, visit Dual Credit Advising & Resources.

    Advising Appointments


    Students are required to be present for all advising appointments. Anyone else (parents/guardians, counselors, etc.) are more than welcome to join in these appointments, but the student must be present and be the main communicator during these appointments.


    During advising appointments, advisors will discuss an overview of the program, pros and cons of receiving a college degree or certificate while in high school, the degree planning process, as well as answer any specific questions the student may have.


    Advising appointments can be anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour, depending on what the student would like to go over. Appointments can be schedule on-campus, online (via Zoom), or over the phone. If a student is meeting with an advisor for the first time, an in-person or online appointment is required.


    We recommend students who are pursuing a degree or certificate schedule an advising appointment each semester (once a year at minimum) to make sure they are on track with their plan and nothing has changed. Students are able to schedule an advising appointment whenever they want to and as often as needed.


    Students graduating with an associate degree or an academic certificate from CWI by high school graduation are required to meet with their advisor the fall semester of their senior year to go over the dual credit graduation requirements

    • Students will apply for admission to CWI, apply for graduation, and RSVP for the commencement ceremony.
    • Students receiving their General Education Certificate are not eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony.

    Students pursuing an associate degree or academic certificate through CWI after high school graduation should meet with their advisor the fall semester of their senior year to go over the admissions process.

    • Students will apply for admission to CWI, apply for financial aid, complete New Student Orientation, and connect with their new advisor.
  • Student Resources

    For a comprehensive overview of resources available to students at CWI, visit Academic ResourcesSupport Resources, and Campus Tech Support

    Strong Start Guide

    For students taking dual credit classes on campus or online at CWI, the Dual Credit Strong Start Guide is a great resource for information on:

    • logging in to their student account
    • accessing myCWI, Blackboard, and their student email
    • locating their student ID and profile
    • finding their class schedule
    • purchasing textbooks
    • academic resources
    • Advanced Opportunities funding
    • paying tuition and fees
    • and viewing grades and transcripts.

    Student ID Cards

    Students taking dual credit classes on campus or online at CWI, at their high school, or through IDLA may be issued a CWI student ID card free of charge. Student ID cards may be obtained at a One Stop Student Services location once the student has registered for classes.


    myCWI is a customizable hub for students that provides quick access to their Self-Service Toolkit, Blackboard, links to resources and services across the College, and more. myCWI can be accessed online or with the CWIMobile app. 


    Students will use Blackboard to access information and resources, submit assignments, take exams and quizzes, and view important announcements and updates for each of their classes. While not all classes require the use of Blackboard, any student enrolled in an online or hybrid class will need to utilize and understand this tool.


    Free tutoring is available to currently-enrolled CWI students. Tutoring services complement classroom instruction by helping students achieve their goals and find success in their classes. Visit Tutoring Services to learn more. 

    Writing Center

    The Writing Center is a place where students can get support for academic and creative writing at any stage of the writing process. The Writing Center offers in-person and online appointments. Students can also send in their writing for written feedback. Visit Writing Center to learn more. 

    Math Solutions Center

    The Math Solutions Center offers support for students enrolled in college prep math classes (MATH 097, MATH 098, or MATH 099) to prepare them for college-level math classes. The Math Solutions Center offers college prep math classes, one-on-one math coaching, and math placement testing and resources. Visit Math Solutions Center to learn more. 


    The CWI Library supports teaching and learning at the College by ensuring students, faculty, and staff can locate, evaluate, and use information effectively. In addition to a rapidly growing physical collection, the Library provides online access to articles, journals, newspapers, eBooks, and streaming video from over 50 online research databases. Library assistance is available online, over the phone, through email, or by appointment. CWI Librarians offer customized information literacy instruction sessions upon request for any college course or group. Library services are free to students, faculty, and staff. Visit Library to learn more. 

    Campus Tech Support

    Campus Tech Support is a great resource for students seeking support or assistance with logging in, accessing technology, or using equipment on campus. Students may contact the Help Desk with issues or questions. 

    Student Disability Services

    Students in need special accommodations or support for any disabilities in their CWI classes can apply for accommodations and meet with a Student Disability Services Coordinator to determine reasonable and appropriate accommodations. 

    Please note, a student’s high school 504 plan does not directly transfer into collegiate coursework but can be added as documentation which may be helpful in making a determination of accommodations.

    For more information about these services, visit Student Disability Services

  • Registrar Processes

    Dropping/Withdrawing from a Class

    It is the student’s responsibility to drop or withdraw from a class by completing a Withdrawal Form. Completed forms should be sent to dualcredit@cwi.edu by the deadline.

    • Advanced Opportunities funding could be affected if a student fails or withdraws from a class.
    • When a student takes an IDLA course for dual credit, they must first drop the course through IDLA and submit a withdrawal form to CWI to drop the dual credit portion of the class.


    Students may appeal any decision they believe is false or unfair. Students interested in filing an appeal are encouraged to contact Dual Credit for assistance.

    Grade Appeal

    This procedure is used when a student believes the final grade assigned for a class, taken on campus or online at CWI, was based on prejudice, discrimination, arbitrary or capricious action, or other reasons not related to academic performance.

    • A student must first consult with their instructor to try and work out the issue.
    • If the issue is not resolved, the student must then appeal to the instructor’s supervisor.
    • If the issue is still not resolved, the student can then submit an Academic Grade Appeal.

    Academic Records Appeal

    This procedure is followed when students want to request an exception to academic policies or deadlines, which may include requesting a drop (no W grade issued), registration, or a withdrawal (W grade issued) past the deadline.

    • Student should complete an Academic Record Appeal Request.
    • As part of this request, the student must also submit a typed letter of explanation, a typed letter from their teacher/counselor, and any other supporting documentation (e.g., medical records, financial records, pictures, etc.). These items should be completed prior to completing the request as they will need to be attached to the online form. 

    Updating Student Information

    If a student needs to update or correct personal information such as their name, birth date, or social security number, they can do so by completing a Student Information Update Form. Completed forms should be sent to dualcredit@cwi.edu along with a copy of their government-issued ID.  

    Students who are taking classes on campus or online at CWI can update their address, email, or phone number directly in their Self-Service Toolkit, accessed on myCWI. Visit Locate Your Student ID & Profile in the Dual Credit Strong Start Guide for step-by-step instructions.


    Students who are taking classes on campus or online at CWI can access their unofficial transcript in their Self-Service Toolkit, accessed on myCWI. Visit View Grades & Transcripts in the Dual Credit Strong Start Guide for step-by-step instructions.

    Visit Transcripts & Verifications to request to have your official CWI transcript sent to another institution.

    • An official transcript is required to transfer credits from CWI classes to another institution.
    • To determine which CWI dual credit classes will transfer to meet degree requirements at another institution, students must contact the institution directly.
  • Scholarship Opportunities

    Advanced Learner Achievement Scholarship

    CWI offers a $1,000 scholarship opportunity to students who took classes as a dual credit student and plan to enroll as a full-time student at CWI after they graduate from high school.

    • Students can apply for the Advanced Learner Achievement Scholarship in January of their senior year.
    • The scholarship deadline is April 30.
    • Students must be admitted as a student prior to completing the scholarship application. 
    • Visit Scholarships to complete the CWI Scholarship Application.


Multipurpose Building
Room: 202
Photo of Stephen Crumrine
Executive Director, Dual Credit
Photo of Randi Smith
Sr. Coordinator, Dual Credit
  • Specialty: Dual Credit Non-Certificate/Associate Degree Seeking Students
Multipurpose Building
Photo of Jake Drexler
Coordinator, Dual Credit
Photo of Natasha Montabello
Advisor, Dual Credit
  • Advising Specialty: Dual Credit (last names A – G)
Multipurpose Building
Photo of Talon Smith
Advisor, Dual Credit
  • Advising Specialty: Dual Credit (last names H – O)
Photo of Emily Thomas
Advisor, Dual Credit
  • Advising Specialty: Dual Credit (last names P – Z)
Multipurpose Building
Photo of Oster Hernandez
Sr. Transition Coordinator
  • Specialty: Dual Credit CTE Programs
Multipurpose Building
Photo of Jessica Concie
Coordinator, Transition
  • Specialty: Dual Credit CTE Programs