What is Dual Credit?

You are here

dual credit celebrating 20 years logoCollege of Western Idaho's (CWI) Dual Credit program is part of a collaborative partnership between Idaho’s colleges, universities, and high schools to deliver college-level courses to high school students.

  • Dual credit classes give students the opportunity to receive both high school and college credits for pre-approved courses.
  • Students who register for dual credit classes receive a letter grade based on work completed during the duration of the class which will be reflected on a college transcript.
  • Dual credits are transferable to Idaho colleges and universities and many other institutions outside of the state.
  • Eligibility

    To take dual credit classes through CWI, students must: 

    • be at least 16-years old or have successfully completed at least one-half of the high school graduation requirements as certified by their local school district/home school administrator*
    • maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA
    • meet the prerequisites/placement requirements of a course or have instructor permission
    • obtain permission of high school administrative representative and signature of parent/guardian

    *Students under 16 or who have not completed half of their graduation requirements may still participate in the dual credit program by submitting the Sophomore by Exception form included within the Dual Credit Registration Packet.

  • Locations

    Choose to take dual credit classes on campus or online at CWI, at your high school, or through Idaho Digital Learning Alliance (IDLA).

    Classes at CWI

    Dual credit students may register for classes taught on campus or online at CWI. Classes taken at CWI are taught by CWI faculty alongside CWI students.

    • If you choose to take a dual credit class on the CWI campus, you will either be given permission from your high school to leave during the regular school day or attend classes in the evening. 
    • Dual credit classes must be confirmed with your high school counselor to ensure the class(es) fulfills your high school graduation requirements. 
    • Course delivery options include: 
      • On-Campus: Traditional, in-person classes are taught two days a week on Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday for 75 minutes, or once a week for 150 minutes.
      • Hybrid: Hybrid classes meet one day a week for 75 minutes and include robust online interaction.
      • Online: Take advantage of online classes for added flexibility.

    HIGH SCHOOL Classes

    Dual credit classes taken at your high school will be taught by high school instructors who are certified to teach college-level classes and have aligned class content and curriculum with the same classes taught at the College.  

    IDLA Classes

    IDLA is a third-party platform that provides access to flexible, online dual credit and advanced placement classes beyond what many Idaho school districts can offer and are available to all students in Idaho.

    • Classes taken through IDLA allow students to earn college credit, graduate early, and recover credits. 
    • IDLA classes align to Idaho Core Content Standards and are facilitated by Idaho-certified, highly-qualified teachers.

    Learn More About IDLA

  • Cost


    • CWI dual credit classes cost $75 per credit regardless of the class, semester, or location.
    • The tuition and fees deadline for each semester is listed in the Important Dates section on the Dual Credit Registration page. 
    • There is not an application fee to register for dual credit classes.
    • Additional fees may apply for instructional support or course materials and are not covered by Advanced Opportunities funding. 


    Residency for students utilizing Advanced Opportunities funding for dual credit classes is verfied through the Advanced Opportunities portal.

    Students NOT using Advanced Opportunities funding and who do NOT live in Ada, Bonneville, Canyon, Jerome, Twin Falls, or Kootenai county may request assistance with out-of-district tuition by submitting a Certificate of Residency to their county clerk. 

    • If verification is not received from the student’s county of residence, the student is responsible for out-of-district tuition and fees.
    • Idaho out-of-district students will need to complete a new Certificate of Residency form each academic year, and submit the form to the county in which they reside.


    Additional costs may apply to Career and Technical Education (CTE) dual credit classes to cover the cost of tools, uniforms, supplies, and any other fees associated with the CTE program in which they are enrolled.  

    Please contact a Dual Credit Transition Coordinator for more information about CTE classes and costs. 


    • Textbooks may be provided to students taking dual credit classes at their high school. 
    • Students who complete classes on campus or online at CWI are responsible for purchasing textbooks which may be purchased at the CWI Bookstore
    • Advanced Opportunities funding does not cover the cost of books.

    View Payment Options

  • Financial Assistance

    Dual credit students do not qualify for federal financial aid as they have not yet received a high school diploma or its equivalent required to be eligible for federal grants or loans.

    Advanced Opportunities

    To support students in opportunities to earn college credit, Idaho’s Department of Education provides several programs through the Advanced Opportunities initiative. Through the initiative, students in grades 7 – 12 attending public school in Idaho are allocated $4,125 to use toward the cost of overload courses; dual credit classes; Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams; and professional certifications. 

    • Students may request up to $75 per credit. 
    • Advanced Opportunities funding does not cover the cost of textbooks or additional fees.
    • Funding may only be used for dual credit classes taken while in high school.  

    Students who are NOT using Advanced Opportunities funding AND do not live in Ada, Jerome, Kootenai, Twin Falls, Bonneville, or Canyon counties must complete a Certificate of Residency and return to the County Clerk’s office for processing. The county clerk will then attempt to certify the student's legal residency. If this does not occur, the student will be responsible for paying the county portion of any tuition charges.

    For more information regarding Advanced Opportunities funding, please contact your school counselor who can help you decide which classes to take and complete any necessary paperwork. 

    Apply for Advanced Opportunities 

    Student Opportunities Assistance Program

    Students not attending an Idaho public school in grades 7 – 12 may be eligible for a reimbursement up to $750 to use toward dual credit classes and/or specified exams.  

    Apply for Assistance

  • Explore Programs

    Taking dual credit classes through CWI can help you meet education requirements for many of the College's degree and certificate programs, including the General Education Academic Certificate. Offered in a wide variety of academic and Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs, CWI's dual credit classes allow you to find what interests you.

    Academic Programs

    Career & Technical Education Programs

    Learn About Technical Competency Credit

  • Search for Classes

    Curious which classes are available at CWI, when a particular class is offered, or if you meet the prerequisites? 

    Currently-enrolled students may search for classes in the Course Catalog section of the Self-Service Toolkit on myCWI. 

Contact Us

Want to learn more about dual credit opportunities at College of Western Idaho (CWI)? Our team of coordinators and advisors can help you: 

  • explore programs, classes, and career paths
  • create an educational plan to reach your goals
  • and more!

Dual Credit Advising & ResourcesContact Dual Credit

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the difference between dual credit and advanced placement?

    Dual credit classes are classes offered to high school students for both high school and college credit. Students who complete a dual credit class will receive a letter grade on both their high school and college transcript. Dual credits are transferable.

    Advanced placement provides college credit based on performance on a cumulative exam administered to high school students in May. For exam scores of 3, 4, or 5, colleges and universities may award credit for or waive a required course. 

  • Are credits earned through CWI's Dual Credit program transferable to other colleges and universities?

    Dual credits earned at College of Western Idaho (CWI) are accepted by all Idaho institutions of higher education. While guaranteed to transfer, these credits may not apply toward your major. Please consult with the school(s) you wish to attend regarding how your credits will transfer.

    CWI is accredited through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, a regional post-secondary accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. As such, most colleges and universities nationwide will accept CWI credits. Again, please consult with the school(s) you wish to attend regarding how your credits will transfer.

  • What is my status at CWI as a dual credit student?

    As a dual credit student at CWI, you are considered a non-degree seeking student and subject to the College's policies regarding plagiarism, academic honesty, and the student code of conduct as well as all registration, withdrawal, and payment deadlines. To become a degree-seeking student, you must apply for admission

  • Can I receive accommodations as a dual credit student?

    To receive accommodations as a dual credit student, please contact Student Disability Services to schedule an appointment with a Disability Coordinator. You will need to provide proof of your disability when you meet with the advisor.