Start your journey towards a rewarding career in healthcare through CWI's Medical Assistant Credit and new Apprenticeship programs.Read more about Embark on Your Healthcare Career Journey Through Medical Assisting
Medical Assistant – Online
Launch a Flexible Healthcare Career with Online Medical Assistant Training
Ready to embark on a healthcare career with the flexibility to fit your lifestyle? The online Medical Assistant program at College of Western Idaho (CWI), in partnership with CareerStep, is tailored for those seeking a dynamic career in healthcare combined with the convenience of online learning. This comprehensive program can be completed in as little as 12 months and includes over 100 clinical externship hours, providing a robust blend of theoretical knowledge and practical experience.
Designed to accommodate your schedule, this online program offers the flexibility to study whenever and wherever you prefer, allowing you to balance your studies with other obligations. Support is readily available through phone, live chat, and email, ensuring you have assistance every step of the way. Our program is not just about convenience; it’s about providing a quality education that travels with you, regardless of where life takes you across the country.
Degree or Certificate Type
Time to Complete
- Flexible Online Learning: Study at your own pace with the freedom to fit your education around your lifestyle.
- Comprehensive Clinical Training: Complete over 100 hours of clinical externship for hands-on experience.
- Preparation for National Certifications: Qualify to test for certifications like CCMA, CMAA, CPT, and CET.
- Real-World Skills: Learn clinical and administrative skills applicable in any healthcare setting.
- Nationwide Applicability: Gain education and credentials recognized across the United States.
Area of Study
Minimum age requirement to start this program is 18.
Degrees & Certificates
Certificate of Completion
Perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of a physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding information for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by physician. Excludes “Physician Assistants” (29-1071).
Hourly Median Wage*
Annual Median Salary
Growth (2021 – 2031)*
*Data sourced from Lightcast™ (2023), a global leader in labor market analytics, and limited to the state of Idaho. Contact CWI Institutional Research for questions regarding this data.
- Review online training details including:
- a program overview and outline
- cost and payment options
- career information
- and more.
- Complete registration and payment through CareerStep.
Are you a 2024 Idaho high school graduate? Learn how to get up to $8,000 of your tuition and fees covered at CWI through Idaho LAUNCH.
Already a student? We are here to help you navigate your educational journey, connect you to academic and support resources, and achieve your academic or career goals.