Transferring to CWI

You are here

Individuals admitted to College of Western Idaho (CWI) as a degree-seeking student who have earned college credit from another institution may transfer their credits to CWI.

Visit Apply to CWI to view transcript requirements and submission steps. 

    Transcript Evaluation

    Once received by the College, your transcript will be evaluated by the Registrar's Office typically within 10 – 14 days.

    • Course descriptions from your transfer institution from the year you earned the credit(s) will be compared to the course descriptions at CWI.
    • Course equivalencies will be determined according to the College's procedures as directed by instructional leadership.
    • If a course is determined to be equivalent credit, the course will be recorded as a part of your academic record history and counted toward your credentials at CWI.
    • If your transcript indicates a previously earned a degree, your general education requirements (GEM courses) at CWI will be waived. Specific degree or certificate requirements will still need to be met. 
    • Understanding Your Evaluation

      Your evaluated credits may fall into three different categories:

      • equivalent to a CWI course
      • non-equivalent coursework
      • non-equivalent general education (GEM) courses 

      The chart below outlines what you will see on your Transfer Equivalency Report and on your My Progress for degree planning. 

      Type of Course Transfer Course Transcribed Definition
      Equivalent E-111 ENGL 101 CWI accepts the transfer course, and it is directly equivalent to a CWI course.
      Non-Equivalent THEA-220 THEA-000 CWI accepts the course toward your CWI credential but does not offer an exact equivalent course.
      Non-Equivalent GEM ART-100 ARTS-000C CWI accepts the course as a general education course (GEM) toward your CWI credential but does not offer an exact equivalent course.
    • Exception to Academic Requirements

      Following initial evaluation of your transcript by the Registrar’s Office, you may request further review by completing an Exception to Academic Requirements form to request: 

      • course equivalency
      • a substitution of non-equivalent transfer credit to satisfy specific degree or certificate requirements
      • acceptance of credit from schools not accredited by the agencies listed below. 

      You may be required to provide a course description or course syllabus prior to review. Transfer students seeking an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or Associate of Applied Science must complete 20% of required credits for a certificate or degree at CWI.

    • Accrediting Associations

      Accreditation is the act of granting credit or recognition, by a governing body, of an educational institution. Accreditation is necessary to any educational institution to prove they are maintaining suitable standards or quality.

      CWI relies on the following accrediting associations standards to evaluate and accept academic college-level credits and grades earned by transfer students: 

    • Transferring Quarter Credits

      If you transfer credit from an institution that operates on a quarter credit system, your credit hours will be converted to semester credits. For example, a three-credit course on the quarter system will transfer as two credits to a semester system. If a course has been evaluated as equivalent, you will not need to repeat it to make up deficiencies in credit. You will, however, be responsible for earning the minimum total hours required for graduation. 

    • Transfer Equivalency System

      The Transfer Equivalency System (TES) is intended to be used as an unofficial guide to assist prospective students in reviewing course transferability. Official transferability decisions are ultimately made by CWI upon admission to the College and receipt of official transcripts.

      • The TES system is dynamic and continually updated as courses are reviewed and is not an absolute list of all transferable coursework.
      • A course that does not appear in the system may still be transferrable.
      • Contact with questions or assistance using TES.

       Transfer Equivalency System

    • Transferring International Credits

      Credit from foreign institutions must be evaluated by a professional transcript evaluation service before transfer credit will be reviewed. You will need to select a professional transcript evaluation service and pay the cost of evaluation.

      CWI uses the evaluation to determine:

      • the institution’s accreditation status
      • equivalencies to U.S. high school diplomas, associate, bachelor’s, or master’s degrees
      • passing level and credits accepted
      • possible CWI course equivalencies

      International Student Admissions Process International Student Resources

    Transferring from CWI

    CWI participates in Idaho’s Statewide Articulation and Associate Degree Policy. This means when you transfer your Associate of Arts or Science degree from CWI to a four-year public institution in Idaho, you will not be required to complete any additional, lower-division, general education classes. This policy is not intended to meet specific major requirements (e.g., engineering, pharmacy, business, etc.)

    Transferring from CWI