Dual Credit - Student & Parent Resources

You are here

Become a Dual Credit Student

  • Contact your high school counselor to determine which Dual Credit courses are offered at your high school, or contact the Dual Credit office to discuss taking classes online or on College of Western Idaho's (CWI) campus.
  • Complete the Dual Enroll registration process if you're taking classes at your high school or the registration packet if you're taking classes on CWI's campus. Learn more about registration.
  • If you are taking classes at CWI, submit the registration packet to the Dual Credit office by mail or in person. A Dual Credit team member will register you for your classes.
  • Make sure you know all the important dates and deadlines, such as when fees and tuition are due.
  • Get Started with Dual Credit at CWI (online or on-campus)

    This is a resource for students who would like to register for dual credit classes directly through CWI (online or on-campus). If you have never registered for a dual credit course at CWI before, please schedule an appointment with a Dual Credit Coordinator or Advisor.

    Please review the Dual Credit Strong Start Guide to help you prepare for a successful start to the semester! The Strong Start Guide provides directions for how to: log in to your MyCWI and email, create/reset your CWI password, review your student ID and profile, request your CWI transcript, find your semester schedule, make payments, find and purchase textbooks, navigate Blackboard (where online classes are held), and request Advanced Opportunities funding.

  • Accessing myCWI

    myCWI is the primary system CWI students use to view and manage their student profile.

    Dual Credit students utilize myCWI for viewing their course schedules and necessary books, viewing and paying their account balances, accessing grades, and ordering transcripts.

    How to flyers:

  • Add/Drop/Withdrawal

    Registration Exception Form

    This form is used for registering for additional courses in the same semester that a full registration packet has already been turned in. This form must be submitted in person, through the student’s CWI email, by fax or mail with a copy of current photo ID.  Only exceptions to registration policies require an override signature.

    Withdrawal Form

    Dropping vs. Withdrawing from a course: Students who drop a course prior to drop date (the 10th day of class) are entitled to 100 percent refunds of tuition and fees. A dropped course does not generate a permanent record (the course does not appear on a transcript). Once the drop date has passed, students may withdraw form a course or courses. A Withdrawn course generates a permanent academic transcript record with a grade of "W". A "W" on a transcript does not affect your GPA. Students who withdraw are NOT entitled to refunds of tuition and fees and the full balance owed remains due and payable to CWI. Failure to make payments for balances owed may result in outstanding debts being sent to a collection agency.

    IMPORTANT: Students can NOT withdraw from a course after the12th week of the semester or 75 percent of the course has elapsed. Once 75 percent of the course has elapsed, students are responsible for the grades earned in their courses as determined by the instructors. The final grade assigned by the course instructor will become part of the student's permanent academic record.

    Dual credit students can only drop/withdraw from courses by submitting a withdrawal form directly to the CWI Dual Credit Office. Plan to discuss dropping or withdrawing with a staff member in Dual Credit to ensure it's the best option for you. Classes may not be dropped by telephone or e-mail. Failure to drop by submitting an withdrawal form may result in an outstanding debt to the college as well as a permanent academic transcript record with a grade of "F". An "F" on a transcript may affect financial aid eligibility in the future. On campus/Online courses have different drop/withdraw dates than Dual Credit courses completed at the high school. Please review dates and deadlines for additional information.

  • Advising

    Meeting with an academic advisor is one of the best things you can do to facilitate success in your education. Advisors can help you develop an education plan for goal achievement, select your class schedule for an upcoming semester, explore majors or careers and connect you to campus resources. Advisors use information (e.g., high school transcripts, assessment scores, and other data) to assist you in pursuing a program consistent with your educational goals and level of preparation. You should meet with an academic advisor at least once a semester and whenever:

    • you want assistance planning courses prior to registration
    • you do not know where to find help
    • you want to consider options for majors and/or minors, you are thinking about changing directions, or just want to talk to someone to clarify your thoughts about how well a particular major may fit you
    • you want to discuss any problems which affect academic performances, including academic progress and personal strengths and weaknesses
    • you are concerned about your study skills or having difficulties in your coursework
    • or you need interpretation of college policies and procedures

    Schedule an appointment

    Advising Resources

    If you are a high school student wanting to earn a degree or certificate from CWI, you must FIRST complete the “High School Schedule Worksheet” and email it to your Dual Credit Advisor before creating a plan to graduate with a degree. Directions for completing the worksheet are listed on page 2 of the Worksheet. Please confirm that the courses you listed on the High School Schedule Worksheet are correct with your High School Counselor before emailing it to your CWI Dual Credit Advisor.

    High School Schedule Worksheet


  • Courses & High Schools

    Please speak with your counselor or school administrator about which courses are being offered at your high school.

    Courses offered for Dual Credit stem from agreements between high schools and CWI, whereby a high school student enrolls in a college course and simultaneously earns college credit and high school credit for the course.

    Partnerships between Idaho secondary schools and CWI have enabled high school students to earn college credits before graduating from high school, making their transition to college and their likelihood of graduating from college greater.

    • Alta High School
    • Blackfoot High School
    • Boise Senior High School
    • Bonneville High School
    • Borah Senior High School
    • Caldwell Senior High School
    • Cambridge Jr-Sr. High School
    • Canyon Springs Alt High School
    • Capital Senior High School
    • Central Academy High School
    • Centennial High School
    • Challis High School
    • Clark Fork High School
    • Cole Valley Christian Schools
    • Columbia High School
    • Compass Public Charter School
    • Connections Academy
    • Dennis Technical Center
    • Eagle Academy
    • Eagle High School
    • Frank Church High School
    • Garden Valley School
    • Gooding High School
    • Greenleaf Friends Academy
    • Heartland High School
    • Hillcrest High School
    • Homedale High School
    • Homeschool High School Students
    • Horseshoe Bend High School
    • ICON
    • Idaho Arts Charter High School
    • Idaho Distance Education Academy
    • Idaho Virtual Academy
    • IDLA
    • Initial Pointe High School
    • Inspire Connections Academy
    • Kuna High School
    • Liberty Charter High School
    • Marsing High School
    • McCall-Donnelly High School
    • Meadows Valley High School
    • Melba High School
    • Meridian High School
    • Meridian Technical Charter High School
    • Middleton High School
    • Midvale High School
    • Mountain View High School
    • Nampa Christian High School
    • Nampa Senior High School
    • New Plymouth High School
    • North Star Charter High School
    • North Valley Academy
    • Notus Jr-Sr. High School
    • Parma High School
    • Payette High School
    • Payette River Technical Academy
    • Pocatello High School
    • Renaissance High School
    • Rigby Senior High School
    • Ridgevue High School
    • Ririe High School
    • Rocky Mountain High School
    • Shelley High School
    • Shoshone High School
    • Silver Creek Alternative School
    • Skyview High School
    • Taylors Crossing Charter School
    • Teton High School
    • Timberline High School
    • Thomas Jefferson Charter High School
    • Union High School
    • Vallivue High School
    • Victory Charter School
    • Vision Charter School
    • Weiser High School
    • Wood River High School
  • Eligibility

    Eligibility Criteria for Dual Credit Students

    • Be at least 16 years old or have successfully completed at least one-half of the high school graduation requirements as certified by their local school district/home school administrator *
    • Maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA
    • Meet the prerequisites/placement requirements of a course or have instructor permission
    • Obtain permission of high school administrative representative and signature of parent/guardian

    *Students under 16 or who have not completed half of their graduation requirements, may still participate in the program by submitting the Sophomore By Exception form included within the Dual Credit registration packet.

  • Financial

    • CWI Dual Credit students are charged $75 per credit for any dual credit course, regardless of whether the course is completed in the fall, spring, or summer semester.
    • Course fees do not change depending on whether the course is taken at the high school, on campus, or online.*
    • Some courses may have additional fees; i.e. lab fees, supplies, and material fees. Advanced Opportunities funding does not cover any additional course fees.
    • The high school may provide students with textbooks. Students who complete courses online or on the CWI campus are responsible for purchasing textbooks. Advanced Opportunities funding does not cover the cost of books. Find and purchase textbooks
    • There is not an application fee to register for Dual Credit courses
    • To find out when payment is due please refer to the dates and deadlines
    • If the student does NOT live in one of the following five counties you must complete a Certificate of Residency for and submit it to your county clerk. The county clerk will than attempt to certify your legal residency. If they cannot, you will be responsible for paying the county portion of your tuition. Students residing in Ada, Canyon, Jerome, Twin Falls, or Kootenai counties do not need to complete the certificate of residency. For more information and a list of county clerk addresses please complete the Certificate of Residency/Affidavit

    *Online courses assess an additional $10 per credit fee.


    Advanced Opportunities

    Idaho’s Department of Education recognizes that high school students across the state are seeking opportunities to earn college credit. In an effort to encourage these students the state provides several programs through the Advanced Opportunities initiative. For more information on these programs please visit Advanced Opportunities.

    Advanced Opportunities

    The Advanced Opportunities program was created by the State Department of Education in an effort to increase college-going rates in Idaho. To put it simply, students in grades 7 through 12 attending a public school in Idaho have an allocation fo $4,125.00 to use towards Dual Credits, Advanced Placement exams and Overload courses. Funds may also be used to pay for the cost of advanced placement or other college-credit bearing or professional certificate examinations.

    • Advanced Opportunities funding does not cover the cost of books or other supplies the student may need
    • The State Department of Education will pay for dual credits during high school. After graduation, students are on their own
    • For more information regarding the Advanced Opportunities program speak with the school counselor. Your counselor can help you decide whether the program is right for you, which classes to take and help you complete any necessary paperwork. Learn more by visiting Advanced Opportunities.

    Advanced Opportunities Flyer

  • Funding

    Advanced Learner Achievement Award (ALAA)

    CWI Scholarships

    • The ALAA was created to help Dual Credit high school student’s transition to full-time college students. This is a great opportunity for students who have already started their college careers while in high school to continue on
    • Available to seniors graduating spring 2018
    • 35 students will receive a $1,000 scholarship to CWI
    • Students who are awarded must attend CWI as a full-time, degree seeking student fall 2018
    • The scholarship application can be found at the CWI Grants and Scholarships website
  • Grades & Transcripts

    Students who complete a Dual Credit course at the high school will have a high school transcript and a CWI college transcript. The letter grade will be consistent between both high school and college transcripts. Students who completed a course online, on the CWI campus, or at the high school must receive a letter grade of "D" or higher in order for that class to count towards a degree, certificate, or pre-requisite. Please note: some courses may require a letter grade of “C” or higher, depending on the major requirements.  

    If a “F” or “X” grade is received, students will not be allowed to use that class to fulfill a degree/certificate requirement or pre-requisite at CWI. While “F” and “X” grades will not be used to fulfill requirements, they will be used to calculate GPA.

    How a class and grade transfers from CWI to another academic institution is always up to that academic institution. If students have questions about how their class or grade will transfer to another college, please contact that college for assistance.

    The credits will appear on a CWI transcript. Grades are not mailed to you.

    Once a grade for your class has been posted, it can be viewed and printed by logging onto your myCWI student account.

    Students who plan to attend a different college/university upon high school graduation will need to request their CWI transcripts be sent to that college/university. CWI does not automatically send transcripts.

    Request CWI transcript flyer

  • Graduation

    Dual Credit students who plan to graduate simultaneously from high school and CWI must complete the steps for graduation in order to receive a diploma and participate in the commencement ceremony.

    Admission & Graduation Steps

  • Placement Testing

    Placement test scores are used to ensure students taking classes on campus or online register into appropriate college coursework on campus. If you do not have ACT/SAT scores, or do not have college coursework in math and English you will need to take the Math Diagnostic and the WriteClass Placement exams before you can register for any math or English course on campus or online.

    Students who do not attend an accredited high school, will also be required to take the placement exams prior to registration into any Dual Credit course. Students must schedule placement testing through the Testing Services. They will need a valid, government issued ID to complete any testing. 

    Testing Services

  • Student Responsibilities

    Student Handbook Strong Strong GuideExplore Blackboard flyer Find Semester Schedule & Make a Payment flyer

    CONTENT: Students taking on-campus or online courses may be exposed to discussions, readings, and visual material of a mature nature and will be expected to conform to the same performance standards as any other college student as set forth in course outlines and syllabi.

    ATTENDANCE: Regular class attendance is important for success in college classes. Students who miss class for numerous high school activities may benefit from taking regular high school classes rather than college classes due to the higher level of academic rigor and expectations for college courses. The attendance policy for students is set by the instructor and should be included on the course syllabus that is handed out on the first day of class. Students should discuss any absence with their instructor in advance of the absence as this may affect their grade. High school activities are not automatically excused.

    PLAGIARISM/CHEATING: CWI strives to create an academic community conducive to the proper functioning of the educational process and the development of each student. Students who are caught cheating or plagiarizing are subject to the disciplinary actions outlined in CWI’s Student Handbook which can include suspension or expulsion.

    ADDING OR DROPPING A COURSE: It is the student’s responsibility to drop a course. High School students who add or drop courses should make sure the high school counselor is aware of any changes the student is making in his/her schedule and that appropriate approvals are in place. Students who do not drop a course and fail to attend or submit work will receive the grade for the course they earn. Students who fail a course will receive an F on their transcript. This can affect their future financial aid eligibility.

    GRADES: The grades earned through Dual Credit are a part of your permanent college record. To drop a class you MUST withdraw from the class by filling out the withdrawal form. If dropped after the payment deadline, the student will have a permanent transcript showing a grade of "W."

    COURSE MATERIALS: CWI will not provide books/supplies for required courses held online or on-campus. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain them. For required course materials, visit myCWI

    PAYMENT: Students are responsible for paying all applicable fees within the specified time frame. Failure to do so will result in late fees. Please refer to the dates and deadlines for more information. Students who do not pay by the payment deadline may be purged from their class(es). In order to be reinstated after being removed for non-payment, students will need to petition.

    Students and their cosigner, if required, will be bound by the "Dual Credit Payment Agreement" that can be found on the back page of the Dual Credit Registration Form included in the Dual Credit Registration Packet Students under the age of 18 will need to have a co-signer to participate in the Dual Credit program. Students who have turned 18 or who will turn 18 during the length of the course will not need a cosigner. Non-attendance or non-completion of a course does not relieve a student and/or their cosigner of their charges.


    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

    Essentially, FERPA states that:

    • Students at postsecondary institutions must be permitted to inspect and review their education records.
    • School officials may not disclose personally identifiable information from a student’s education record, without written permission, unless such a disclosure is permitted by one of the FERPA signed-consent exceptions.
    • Institutions are responsible for ensuring that all of its school officials comply with FERPA.

    Find FERPA forms here.

  • Transferring

    I'm planning to attend CWI after high school graduation

    Dual Credit students who plan to attend CWI after high school graduation must complete the steps for admission in order to continue their education at CWI upon graduating from high school.

    Admissions & Graduation Steps

    I'm planning on attending a different College or University after high school

    • Visit the website for the university or college you are going to attend. There you will find an online application for admission. You will also find information about applying for scholarships and financial aid. You should start this process in the fall of your senior year.
    • Transfer your CWI credits: To get credit for your CWI classes, you need to have an official transcript sent to your prospective school. For more information on requesting a transcript visit the official CWI Transcripts.

    Transferring to college/university in Idaho:

    coursetransfer.idaho.gov is a website developed by Idaho public and community colleges and state universities to help students learn what credits will transfer within Idaho.

    Students who are thinking about transferring CWI credits to another college/university need to work with a college admissions representative from that school to determine whether courses completed at CWI will transfer as elective or general education core credit. Visit CWI Transfer Information.

    Transferring to a college/university outside of Idaho:

    Contact the admissions department at the college/university you are considering and work with them to determine which courses completed at CWI will transfer. It's important to start this process as early as possible to ensure that student complete appropriate coursework while attending CWI.

Need More Info?

Executive Director, Dual Credit
Dual Credit Assistant Director
Sr. Coordinator, Dual Credit
  • Specialty: Dual Credit Non-Certificate/Associate’s degree seeking students
Coordinator, Dual Credit
Advisor, Dual Credit
  • Advising Specialty: Dual Credit (for High School Students Last Names A-G)
Advisor, Dual Credit
  • Advising Specialty: Dual Credit (for High School Students Last Names P-Z)
Advisor, Dual Credit
  • Advising Specialty: (for High School Students Last Names H-O)

Phone: 208.562.3371
Physical: 6042 Birch Lane, Nampa, ID 83687 NCMP Room 202    
Mailing: CWI Dual Credit MS 1300 PO Box 3010 Nampa, ID 83653

For information regarding dual credit courses offered at your high school, please contact your high school counselor or the CWI Dual Credit Director.