Financial Aid

How will 8-week classes affect my financial aid?

Financial aid is awarded based on the number of credit hours per semester. To maximize your federal financial aid, be sure to register for 8-week session classes prior to the Census Date specified for each semester. Contact with questions. 

View the Academic Calendar for dates specific to the current semester.  

I submitted my FAFSA, what happens now?

Once submitted using the correct Federal School Code, College of Western Idaho (CWI) will receive your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) within 5 – 7 days.

  • Additional documentation may be requested by the College to assist in preparing your
  • ...

My financial aid has changed since I was awarded, what happened?

Any changes in enrollment can impact the amount of aid you receive during the school year. Initially students are awarded financial aid based on full time enrollment (12 or more credits). Your aid will be adjusted to match your enrollment before school starts. To be eligible for loans you...

Should I pay someone to help me to complete the FAFSA?

It is not necessary to pay someone to complete your FAFSA. Save your money for school! You (and your family) know your family situation best. When you are completing the FAFSA, you can simply use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to link your tax information from the IRS to your FAFSA.  Using...

What are some common sources of financial aid?

College of Western Idaho (CWI) administers student aid from three major sources: federal, state, and institutional, as well as a variety of outside scholarship opportunities. Each has a different and distinct application process.

Federal Aid

In order to be eligible for...

What determines my eligibility for financial aid?

Three components are used to determine your financial need/eligibility for financial aid: Cost of Attendance, Expected Family Contribution, and Enrollment Status.

Each college or university in the U.S. develops its own Cost of Attendance Budget(s) with...

What do I do if I need to drop or withdraw from a class?

If you find that at any point during a term you must drop a class, please consult with your academic advisor first.  You can drop classes any time during the full refund period (please refer to the CWI academic calendar for specific dates) without penalty and receive a full refund of...

What happens if I do not pass all of my classes? What if I drop a class?

Withdrawing from classes before the end of the semester can negatively impact your financial aid. We highly recommend you speak with your Student Success Advisor before withdrawing from any classes.  Receiving a “W” for a...

What is CWI’s Federal School Code?

College of Western Idaho's Federal School Code is 042118.

What is the income limit to qualify for financial aid?

There is not an income limit to qualify for financial aid. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) uses a complex need analysis formula to evaluate income, number of people in the household, and, in college, age of the eldest parent, investments, cash, savings, checking, and...

What types of financial aid are available?

As a College of Western Idaho student, financial aid options are available to assist you with educational costs including grants, scholarships, work-study, and student and parent loans. Explore your options and learn about the types of aid available to find the best fit for your needs. ...

Future Students

Do I need transcripts to attend CWI?

If you are a degree-seeking student, official transcripts (High School, GED, College/University) are required as part of the admission process. If you have attended another college or university, we recommend submitting all official transcripts. Your previous coursework may satisfy pre-...

How do I apply to CWI?

Visit Apply to CWI and choose the application process that most represents your situation and your program of choice. We look forward to serving you.