What type of permit does someone need to hold in order to carry a weapon legally on campus?

In March 2014, The State of Idaho passed SB 1254 into law. This law permits individuals who are qualified retired law enforcement officers under Idaho Statute 18-3302H, or who hold an “enhanced” concealed carry license under Idaho Statute 18-3302K, to legally carry concealed weapons...

What is considered “concealed” in terms of weapons?

A “concealed weapon” means a weapon which is carried upon one’s person and is not in plain view or discernable by ordinary observation.

Where does a weapon need to be in order to be legally considered “concealed”? Can a weapon be in a backpack or purse, or does it need to be directly on a person’s body or within reaching distance of the person?

According to Idaho State law, anyone who has complied with the requirements of State Law 18-3302K and has been issued an enhanced license is authorized to carry concealed weapons "on his person." The weapon cannot be in plain view or discernable by ordinary observation.

What constitutes an unconcealed firearm?

If any part of a concealed weapon is in plain view or discernable by another person by ordinary observation, the weapon is not considered concealed. This may be a violation of the law and is a violation of...

What should be done if it is suspected someone is carrying a concealed weapon?

If you suspect someone is carrying a weapon on campus but there is not a perceived threat and the weapon is not visible, no action is necessary. 

What should be done if someone feels intimidated by any person they believe is carrying a weapon?

If the individual carrying a weapon on campus does not pose an immediate threat, please contact Campus Security

If there is an immediate threat, call 9-1-1.

Does CWI have armed security officers?

No, the College does not have armed security guards.

Your safety is of the utmost importance. If you feel you are in imminent danger, call 9-1-1. Please report other concerns to Campus Security...

Is there a storage location for weapons on campus?

No. CWI does not have a storage location for weapons at any of the campus locations. Individuals choosing to carry will be responsible for weapons and their concealment at all times.

What is Campus Security’s role regarding weapons on campus?

Campus Security will work with police to determine if a student, staff member, faculty or visitor on campus is lawfully carrying a weapon. They will also escort individuals off campus and work with local law enforcement officials as needed.

When should someone call the police, and who should call the police?

If someone suspects a violation of the weapons on campus policy, that individual should alert...

If I live in the Aspen Creek apartments can I possess a firearm, if authorized to do so under state law?

The Aspen Creek Apartments are not affiliated with CWI. Anyone wishing to possess a firearm at this location will need to be authorized under state law and will also have to follow their tenant agreement for such.

Can I carry my concealed weapon on the premise of any buildings leased to CWI?

CWI currently has campus locations in leased buildings including campus buildings located in Boise at the Blackeagle Center and CWI Horticulture. Currently, these locations do not have language included in their lease agreements with the College that prohibits the legal carry of a...

Can a weapon be stored in a vehicle? If so, how?

If you are authorized to carry a concealed weapon under Idaho State law and CWI’s weapons policy, you may transport a firearm in your personal vehicle if the...

Does a student, instructor, or staff member have to inform College administration when they are carrying a concealed weapon?

No. Under the law, carrying a concealed weapon does not need to be reported to CWI personnel. However, a carrier must present appropriate credentials when requested to do so by law enforcement personnel.