Number: STU 070
Effective: December 1, 2016
Department: Student Affairs
Last Revision: March 8, 2021


To establish guidelines for the acceptance of credit from other colleges and universities.


Applies to all students seeking to transfer credits to CWI from other colleges and universities.


College of Western Idaho relies on the following accrediting associations’ standards to evaluate and accept academic college-level credits and grades earned by transfer students:

  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC-CIHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior College and University Commission (WASC-SCUC)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (WASC-ACCJC)

CWI’s Provost shall oversee the establishment of transfer policies and transfer articulation agreements with colleges and universities. The Registrar’s Office shall determine transfer course equivalencies according to CWI’s procedures and as directed by instructional leadership. As the receiving institution, CWI shall determine the transferability of credits earned from other educational institutions or organizations.



  • Students who apply for admission and submit official transcripts may have coursework evaluated for transfer of credit after having attended other post-secondary institutions.
  • Transfer credit shall be awarded based on the applicability of the credit toward satisfying CWI degree or certificate requirements for the student’s declared major.
  • All credit accepted will be recorded as part of a student’s permanent academic history and will not be removed.
  • The age of transfer credit may affect course content equivalencies and fulfillment of specific degree or certificate requirements (i.e. computer classes).


  • Students may request further review of transfer credit after initial evaluation by using the Exception to Academic Requirements form to request a course equivalency, a substitution of non-equivalent transfer credit to satisfy specific degree or certificate requirements, and/or the acceptance of credit from schools not accredited from the identified associations.
  • Students may be required to provide a course description or course syllabus prior to review.