Veterans & Military Family Services

You are here

College of Western Idaho (CWI) is striving to be a destination of choice for our nation's veterans and their dependents. Veterans & Military Family Services provides provides new and continuing students with a host of services in a comfortable and welcoming environment. It is our goal to make your transition into college life as seamless as possible. 

If you need assistance or have any questions, please contact our Veterans & Military Family Services representative at 208.562.3211 or by sending an email. You can also schedule a meeting time online.

Schedule a Meeting

* GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at The absence of the registration symbol ® does not constitute a waiver of VA's trademark rights in that phrase.

Veterans Priority Application Deadline

Veterans, dependents, reservists, or active duty members using educational benefits are guaranteed submission of enrollment verification before the start of the upcoming semester if they have submitted the required documentation by the Veterans Priority Deadline listed on the Academic Calendar. 

View the Academic Calendar

Request for Certification

A Request for Certification is required every semester to certify your benefits. This form should be completed after registering for classes for the upcoming semester. 

Request for Certification

Admission Requirements

  1. Apply to CWI
  2. Request official transcripts
    • An official high school transcript showing graduation
    • Official GED transcripts with an overall Pass posted
    • DD Form 214 ONLY if it shows high school graduation or equivalency
    • Official regionally accredited college transcript showing an Associates degree or higher conferred
    • Send transcripts to:
      • College of Western Idaho
        One Stop Student Services
        MS 3000
        P.O. Box 3010
        Nampa, ID 83653
  3. Complete VA documentation
  4. Apply for educational benefits
  5. Verify academic skill level*

*All placement test scores must be within three years of the first day of class. College credit placement has no age limit.

  • Veteran & Dependents Benefit Information

    Current payment rates are available on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

    * GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

    Chapter 30 Information

    Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) 

    The MGIB-AD program provides education benefits to Veterans and Service members who have at least two years of active duty.

    Chapter 31 Information

    Veterans Readiness and Employment (VR&E)

    You may receive Veterans Readiness and Employment (VR&E) services to help with job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching. 

    Chapter 33 Information (Post 9/11)

    Post-9/11 GI Bill

    If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. Purple Heart recipients, regardless of length of service, are qualified for Post-9/11 benefits at the 100% level. Certain members of the Reserves who lost education benefits when REAP was sunset in November 2015, may also be eligible to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

    Chapter 35 Information

    Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA)

    The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

    Chapter 1606 Information

    Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

    MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard or Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments

    * GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at
    The absence of the registration symbol ® does not constitute a waiver of VA's trademark rights in that phrase.

    Public Law 117-68
    Update, effective 8/1/2022

    The Colonel John M. McHugh Tuition Fairness for Survivors Act of 2021 (Public Law 117-68) amends the definition of covered individuals for instate tuition to include Chapter 35 Dependents' Educational Assistance.

    To remain approved for VA’s GI Bill programs, schools must charge in-state tuition and fee amounts to “covered individuals.” A covered individual is defined as:

    • A Veteran who lives in the state where the Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and was discharged or released after a minimum of 90 days of military service and using Post 9/11 or Chapter 30 benefits. 
    • An individual using transferred Post 9/11 benefits who lives in the state where the IHL is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence). 
    • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits who lives in the state where the IHL is located and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty. Effective 7/1/2017
    • Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state where the IHL is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence). Effective 7/1/2017
    • Anyone using educational assistance under chapter 31, Veterans Readiness and Employment (VR&E) who lives in the Commonwealth of Virginia while attending a school located in the Commonwealth of Virginia (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) effective for courses, semesters, or terms beginning after March 1, 2019
    • Anyone using Chapter 35 Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) benefits who lives in the state where the IHL is located while attending classes (regardless of their formal state of residence). Effective 8/1/2022

    Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person must be using educational benefits under either Chapter 30, Chapter 31, Chapter 33 or Chapter 35, of title 38, United States Code.

    The in-state tuition provisions do not apply to those individuals on active duty using benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty.

    These requirements ensure our nation’s recently discharged Veterans, and their eligible family members, will not bear the cost of out-of-state charges while using their well-deserved education benefits.

  • Tuition Assistance Information

    In support of student Veterans and other covered individuals, CWI is pleased to grant in-state tuition to those eligible as defined in the Veteran’s Choice Act, effective Fall Semester 2015.

    For more information, please contact the CWI Veteran Services Representative at the contact information is listed at the bottom of this page.

    Tuition Assistance (TA)

    Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard, to include National Guard and Reserves. This benefit may pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members*. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application processes and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the college or institution by the individual services. For additional information, contact your Base/Post Education Center or follow the links below for your particular service/component: 

    *In accordance with the Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between College of Western Idaho and Department of Defense, a portion of TA funds may be returned to the service if a student stops attending before the end of an enrollment period. In instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the educational institution will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion.

  • Monthly Enrollment Verification

    Students using Chapters 30, and 1606 and must verify their attendance to the VA on the last day of each month. Your payment for that month will not be released until you have verified your attendance. Attendance can be verified online or by phone 1.877.823.2378.

    Students using Chapter 33 must verify attendance to VA using either opt-in text messaging or by calling GI Bill® hotline;  1.888.442.4551.

  • External Resources for Veterans

    VA Education Benefits Hotline - payment issues

    Direct Deposit Enrollment

    VA Debt Management Center

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who do I contact if I am a veteran not utilizing GI Bill funds to attend school?

    Veterans seeking higher education and utilizing financial means outside of GI Bill® funds can contact One Stop Student Services with questions about attending College of Western Idaho. You will follow the application and financial aid processes found under Future Students.

  • This is the first time I have used my veteran education benefits. How do I apply?

    You will need to establish your eligibility with the Veterans Administration. You can apply on line Once the VA has processed your application, they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. The Certificate of Eligibility is your official notification that you are eligible to use your benefits. Please submit a copy of this letter either to a One Stop location or directly to Veteran and Military Family Services at  It can take the VA up to 30 days to process your benefit claim, please plan accordingly as this affects the disbursement of VA Education benefits.

  • How soon will I receive my first veteran education benefit payment?

    It can take the VA several weeks to process your initial application and anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks to process Enrollment Certifications. Generally, VA education benefit payments are made at the end of each month you attend school; for example, if classes start in August and your claim has been completely processed by the VA, the payment for that month will normally be received in the first ten days of September.

  • Do I need to set up a payment plan if I have veteran education benefits coming?

    We advise students who are Chapter 30, 35, and 1606 and receive direct payment of their VA Benefits to set up a payment plan prior to the start of the semester. Payment plans can be set up in myCWI under “MyToolkit” and then “Student Finance”.

  • As a continuing student, how does my enrollment get certified?

    You must complete a CWI Request for Certification form online every semester, after you have registered for classes and your final schedule is chosen, in order to verify benefits are being requested.

  • Does Veteran Affairs care which classes I take?

    YES. While you are a degree/certificate-seeking student at CWI, the VA will only allow certification for classes that apply toward your degree/certificate requirements. If you have previously completed classes that meet the requirements of your degree/certificate at CWI, from another school, or from transferable military credit, the VA will not fund those classes. CWI cannot certify you for classes whose requirements you have already met. If you have previously passed a class that meets the requirements of your degree/certificate at CWI, the VA will not fund that same course again, unless the degree program requires a higher grade then what was previously received.

  • Why won't Veteran Affairs pay for a class I am taking?

    There are several reasons Veteran Affairs may not pay for a class you are taking at College of Western Idaho including: 

    • the class is not part of your degree or certificate plan
    • you may have already taken and passed the class at CWI, another institution, or from transferable military credit
    • the degree or certificate program is not approved by Veteran Affairs or on Form 22-1998 (typically new programs)
    • the class is provided through Workforce Development, currently not approved through the GI Bill®
    • the class is an online/remote remedial class (prevents the certification of online MATH 097, MATH 098, and MATH 099)
    • or the class is non-credit bearing, such as MATH-085.
  • Does Veterans and Military Family Services have walk-in hours for veterans using their education benefits?

    No. Due to the volume of veteran education benefit certifications, Veterans and Military Family Services is unable to accept walk-ins. We do take appointments, please schedule an appointment, we would love to talk with you.

  • How do I use my GI Bill® in an Apprenticeship Program?

     When using the GI Bill® in an Apprenticeship Program, you will be submitting it through your employer. 

    More information on using the GI Bill in an apprenticeship program is located at:

    A list of approved employers is listed at:

    The VA does not pay for the tuition of Apprenticeship courses. See Does Veteran Affairs care which classes I take?



Contact Us

Photo of Shannon Kerr
Coordinator, Veterans & Military Family Services
Photo of Dallas Hulsey
Coordinator/SCO, Veteran's & Military Family Services
Lynx Building
Room: 1101
Photo of Heather Grayson
Director, Student Support Services
  • Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Pregnancy/Parenting