Take your apprenticeship to the next level with an AAS. Your Apprenticeship training, in the field and classroom, can now be paired with general education courses at College of Western Idaho (CWI)...
Registration and Start Dates
- June start - Distance (completely online) is open for registration for years 2, 3, and 4 (no year 1 June start)
- Fall Classes - begin the week of September 13, 2021.
- January start - Distance (completely online) will open for registration in October
A first year mandatory orientation is required for Hybrid classes only and you can view it on the HVAC Apprenticeship Online Orientation page. It has some good information and any student can look at it.
If a student who has enrolled in a CWI Apprentice course elects to withdraw from the course within the first 10-business days of class, the student will be financially liable for a $25 drop fee which will be applied to the student’s account. In addition, if the student set up a tuition payment plan with the College, they will remain financially liable for an administrative payment plan set-up fee not to exceed $50.
The Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) trade is growing and the College of Western Idaho HVAC Apprenticeship Program is your key to starting a rewarding career in a field that is increasingly in need of trained and licensed technicians, installers, and trouble shooters.
The HVAC Apprenticeship Program at CWI is a four year program that will take you from the basics to being prepared to take the Journeyman’s test.
You will learn from industry experts in the classroom in concert with employment in the HVAC field for on-the-job training while earning a living. The schooling teaches the how’s and why’s of refrigeration as applied to air conditioning theory, electrical theory, motors and basic electrical controls, International Fuel Gas and Mechanical Code, installation methods, and much more.
You have two options for your HVAC Apprenticeship program through CWI
- Hybrid (In-Class and Online) - Course content is delivered online and in-class with lab access. Class attendance is required one evening per week.
- Online - 100% of the course material is delivered over the Internet via an instructor led course. This does require a motivated individual to dedicate time and stay current with the materials.
Both options prepare you for the same required tests to become a licensed HVAC technician.
You will have 576 hours of classroom (in-class or online) training along with 8,000 hours of on-the-job experience during the four year program.
Be prepared to work in these areas of the HVAC industry:
Registration for the hybrid program (in-class and online) is open every year from July through September and is based on first come, first serve. So mark your calendars and register as soon as you can. We also have multiple start dates for the "online only" programs. The start dates are in January and October. Just like in the hybrid program, enroll early to make sure you are setup for success.
Workforce Development at College of Western Idaho (CWI) provides you high-quality, short-term training to boost your job skills, acquire new career skills, and earn the certificates you need. Take as many classes as you want in our short-term, credit free classes with no applications, no transcripts, and no hassle. Just sign up and watch your career take off.
Classes are offered at a variety of locations throughout western Idaho that are taught by knowledgeable professionals with years of experience in the topics they teach.
What You Will Learn to Do
- Tools of the trade
- Blueprint reading
- HVAC Theory
- Air Conditioning
- Fuel gas piping and venting
- Sheet metal
- Related science
- Code requirements for electricity, fuel gas and mechanical
- Hands-on training in a lab setting
More Recommended Programs
The Electrical trade is growing and the College of Western Idaho Electrical Apprenticeship Program is your key to starting a rewarding career in a field that is increasingly in need of trained and...
College of Western Idaho (CWI) offers a series of Electrical Upgrade classes to add skills, prepare for testing, and fulfill annual training requirements for your electrical license. Electrical...
College of Western Idaho (CWI) offers a series of HVAC Upgrade classes to add skills, prepare for testing, and fulfill annual training requirements for your HVAC license. These training classes at...
The Plumbing trade is growing and the College of Western Idaho Plumbing Apprenticeship Program is your key to starting a rewarding career in a field that is increasingly in need of trained and...
College of Western Idaho (CWI) offers a series of Plumbing Upgrade classes to add skills, prepare for testing, and fulfill annual training requirements for your plumbing license. These training...
Requirements and Costs
Degrees and Certificates
Skills, Traits, and Prep Classes
- Register with the Idaho State Division of Building Safety for your on-the-job apprentice hours to start. Idaho State Division of Building Safety, Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) Board – 208.334.3950
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI Workforce Development offers advising assistance, to help in deciding which courses you need to take to complete your education and career goals. Have a specific question or just want general assistance? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 208.562.2700 and we’ll be happy to help get you on your way!
- HVAC Apprenticeship Program costs are $900 to $1,000 depending on the year
- Textbook costs will vary by year
Class costs and fees are subject to change without notice.
There are an assortment of scholarship opportunities available if you qualify to help cover some or all of the costs associated with classes offered through CWI Workforce Development. Call us at 208.562.2700 for more information.
CWI Workforce Development offers you multiple payment options to cover the cost of your program. For more information, visit Payment Options
You will be prepared for a career in the HVAC profession.
- HVAC Journeyman
- Residential HVAC Technician
- Commercial HVAC Technician
- Industrial HVAC Technician
- HVAC Contractor
- Applied Technology and Apprenticeship
- Certified Electronics Tech (CET)
- Computer Drafting
- Construction Career Launcher
- Construction Site Erosion Control
- DC Electrical Troubleshooting
- Electrical Apprenticeship
- Electrical Upgrade Training
- FANUC Robotics
- Flagging for Traffic Control
- HVAC Apprenticeship
- HVAC Upgrade Training
- Plumbing Apprenticeship
- Plumbing Upgrade Training
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
- Welding - Short Term Training Classes