How Do I Apply for Federal Financial Aid?
To be eligible for financial aid at the College of Western Idaho students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA opens for completion October 1st of every year and requires tax information from two years prior.
- Complete your FAFSA application online at www.FAFSA.ed.gov or download the myStudentAid app on your phone. Select Start a New FAFSA or Login.
- Select FAFSA Renewal or Start New FAFSA, and login with your FSA ID.
- Create a Save Key for temporary use to return and complete that specific FAFSA.
- Follow the required steps and enter all information completely and correctly. Read the questions carefully and take it one question at a time.
- To select a school to have your FAFSA sent to, search for "College of Western Idaho" or enter CWI's school code: 042118.
- For questions related to tax information, refer to your tax return to enter the corresponding information manually or import the data from the IRS using the Data Retrieval Tool.
- After signing, click Submit my FAFSA Now to finalize the application.
Next Steps - What to Expect
- Submit Requested Documents- CWI will send an email to your student email verifying we have received your FAFSA. We may request additional documentation to clarify, resolve, or assist in reviewing your eligibility for financial aid.
- Receive Your Award Notification- Once CWI has all of the necessary information, we will be able to determine your financial aid eligibility. A notification will be sent to your student email after you have been awarded.
- Accept, Reduce, and/or Decline Awards- Your financial aid award package may include a combination of grants, scholarships, work-study and student loans. We encourage you to review carefully and borrow wisely.
- 1 of 3
- next ›