International Student Frequently Asked Questions

You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Does CWI have on-campus housing for international students?

    College of Western Idaho does not have on-campus housing for international students. As such, please be sure to secure housing prior to arriving in Idaho to attend school.

  • Does CWI offer health insurance for international students?

    International students who are F-1 or M-1 visa holders are required to have health insurance. While College of Western Idaho does not offer health insurance for these students, the College has compiled a list of insurance providers.

    View Health Insurance Options

  • As an international student, am I eligible for federal financial aid?

    No, international students do not qualify for federal financial aid. Other forms of financial aid may be available through your home country or other various organizations and agencies.

  • As an international student, am I required to take math or English placement tests?

    International students are required to take an English proficiency test before being admitted.

    Once you have arrived in the United States to attend CWI, you will be required to complete math and English placement testing to ensure you are placed in the correct math and English classes. 

    Study guides for the placement tests

  • I have an original copy of my High School Diploma from my country. Can I use this to get accepted into college?

    Students must submit the original high school transcript to a CWI One-Stop Representative.  The student will be contacted once the document has been reviewed for authenticity.

  • What information does the school need?

    The forms ask for your personal information (name, birthdate, country of birth and citizenship, native language, and academic plans at CWI), financial support information (how you will pay for your classes), and additional information regarding your sponsor and dependents (people relying on you financially). If you are transferring from another U.S. college or university an International Student transfer form will be required.

  • What do I need to get an I-20?

    To receive a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) as an international student, you must complete all the steps for admission to College of Western Idaho and be officially accepted as a student. 

    Apply as an International Student

  • Do you need my I-20 from my other university, and why?

    Yes, we need you to submit an International Student Transfer Form to verify all students transferring to CWI from another U.S. university for both identification purposes and that you are financially able to pay for your classes. The I-20 must be electronically sent from your previous university through the Student and Visitor Exchange Information System (SEVIS).

  • I am applying as an international student. Can CWI evaluate my transcripts?

    No, College of Western Idaho cannot evaluate transcripts for international students applying for admission.

    All international, post-secondary documents must go through an evaluation service approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Evaluation agencies have resources in place to accurately evaluate your credits and equate their transfer equivalency to the College's accreditation standards. 

    Learn More About Transcript Evaluation Services

  • Do I have to be a full-time student to keep my visa valid?

    As an international student, you must be enrolled as a full-time student taking at least 12 credits per semester and maintain satisfactory academic progress to maintain your student visa.

  • Why do you need my information from my other university?

    We need to verify your identity, financial standing with the previous university, and your educational merits to determine which courses you may or may not need to take at CWI.

  • How do I get my I-20?

    Once your student file is complete our Designated School Official(DSO) will review and issue the I-20.  The DSO will send a link to the student so they can arrange to have the I-20 sent to them.  The I-20 can also be picked up from the school during scheduled times.

  • How long will it take to get my I-20?

    Once all the required documents have been received and processed, the I-20 can be available within 7 business days.

  • What if I receive my I-20 and it is incorrect?

    Contact the Designated School Official, Kim Bettencourt at, immediately upon receiving the I-20 so it can be corrected.  Once you receive the corrected I-20, sign and date the bottom of the first page of the form.

  • When can I register for classes?

    Once you have been fully admitted as a student of CWI you will be given a username and password. First-time students must complete the Mandatory Student, Orientation, Advising and Registration online orientation to be able to register for classes.  International Students will also be required to attend a Mandatory in-person Orientation before attending classes.

  • My family member/friend is in another country and wants to come here. What do they/we need to do?

    They will need to meet the requirements for admission, submit all necessary forms and documentation.

  • Why can't I turn in their paperwork?

    We cannot release any information about another student's account or accept any documents from someone else for them unless they fill out a Privacy Release Form and submit a clear copy of a valid government-issued photo Identification card via fax or email. Additional identification verification may be required.