This online class will review the basic concepts typically taught in a 2-year Electronics Technician program and prepare you for the Certified Electronics Technician Examination (CET Exam). It is...
Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
You are here
The College of Western Idaho (CWI) Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) courses offer the latest industry knowledge in manufacturing machine operations controlled by software language.
The PLC classes are taught using Rockwell Automation Studio 5000 software and an Allen Bradley Compact Logix 5370 Controller.
CWI offers two PLC classes:
PLC Basics I
This hands-on course exposes you to standard fundamental PLC software and hardware including RSLinxs, I/O modules, power supplies, terminal blocks and, field I/O devices.
Your training in the PLC Basics I course will cover the following topics:
- Create and configure projects, tasks, and routines
- Communicate with a controller through RSLinxs "Who's Active"
- Go online, download and upload project files
- Program and interpret basic ladder logic instructions
- Locate, define, and use Tags
- Use integrated Input and Output I/O Modules
- Use discrete field I/O devices
PLC Basics II
This course focuses on advanced Ladder Logic programming concepts using virtual industrial environments. You will learn to wire and troubleshoot actual electrical controls using relay logic concepts.
Your training in the PLC Basics II course will cover the following topics:
- Create Industrial PLC projects using routines and subroutines
- Wire and troubleshoot electrical controls hardware
- Understand and utilize relay logic concepts
- Program and implement relay logic concepts utilizing a PLC
Workforce Development at College of Western Idaho (CWI) provides you high-quality, short-term training to boost your job skills, acquire new career skills, and earn the certificates you need. Take as many classes as you want in our short-term, credit free classes with no applications, no transcripts, and no hassle. Just sign up and watch your career take off.
Classes are offered at a variety of locations throughout western Idaho that are taught by knowledgeable professionals with years of experience in the topics they teach.
What You Will Learn to Do
- Identify and understand the components that make up a PLC
- Understand the role and purpose of PLC's in process control
- Understand addressing concepts and basic ladder logic
- Understand the availability and usage of commonly used instructions
- Develop applicable programs
Requirements and Costs
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI Workforce Development offers advising assistance, to help in deciding which courses you need to take to complete your education and career goals. Have a specific question or just want general assistance? Email: email@example.com or call 208.562.2700 and we’ll be happy to help get you on your way!
- Course fee is $596
- Course materials included
Class costs and fees are subject to change without notice.
There are an assortment of scholarship opportunities available if you qualify to help cover some or all of the costs associated with classes offered through CWI Workforce Development. Call us at 208.562.2700 for more information.
Various payment options are available for Workforce Development students to help covers costs of your program. For more information, visit WD Financial Information.
College of Western Idaho is committed to maintaining a Respectful Community by providing equal opportunity for all individuals and does not discriminate in services, benefits, or activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, veteran status, age, or any other legally protected status. More on Title IX
Trades, Manufacturing and Construction
- Applied Technology and Apprenticeship
- Certified Electronics Tech (CET)
- Computer Drafting
- Construction Career Launcher
- Construction Site Erosion Control
- DC Electrical Troubleshooting
- Electrical Apprenticeship
- Electrical Upgrade Training
- FANUC Robotics
- Flagging for Traffic Control
- HVAC Apprenticeship
- HVAC Upgrade Training
- Plumbing Apprenticeship
- Plumbing Upgrade Training
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
- Welding - Short Term Training Classes