To help the campus prepare for and respond to emergencies, faculty, staff, and students should do the following:
Preparing for an emergency
- Confirm mobile phone numbers can receive CWI Alert messages.
- Enter the phone number for CWI Security into their mobile phones (208-562-3333).
- Annually review CWI's Emergency Handbook.
- Inspect personal work areas (e.g., offices, classrooms, hallways, storage areas) for potential hazards.
- Review and know evacuation routes and safe assembly areas for your building.
- Be familiar with CWI Campus Safety and Security webpage:Campus Safety and Security
- Participate in CWI emergency drills.
- Develop personal and family preparedness plans and supplies for emergencies.
- For staff and faculty members, confirm that offices and classrooms have a copy of the Emergency Handbook. If you do not have a copy, email ESH
Responding to an emergency
- Notify Security of any threat to the campus.
- Follow instructions sent through CWI Alert as well as instructions from building administrators/leads or floor captains, or other emergency responders (e.g., police, fire department)
- If a building has been evacuated, do not reenter the building until official permission has been given
- In an evacuation, follow instructions from building administrators/leads or floor captains, or other emergency responders (e.g., police fire department)
Additional faculty responsibilities
In addition to the responsibilities described above, faculty members should also do the following:
- Remind students to review evacuation maps on the first day of class, and note the location of the Emergency Handbook in the classroom.
- Be familiar with the Evacuations Instructions guidelines:Evacuation Instructions
- Be familiar with how to lock down each classroom in which you teach.
- Be familiar with Active Shooter Response and review plan with class.
- If a drill occurs during class, lead students during emergency drills and follow floor captains/security instructions.
- If an emergency occurs during class, lead students in following instructions from CWI Alert.
- If an evacuation occurs during class, report the information to the floor captain and remain with students until the evacuation is over.
- If possible, consider contingency plans for how courses could be conducted if on-campus facilities are temporarily unavailable.
- Active Shooter Response
- CWI Alerts
- CWI Emergency Handbook
- Campus Safety and Security Policies
- Campus Safety and Security Services
- Crime Prevention and Resources
- Emergency Resources
- Safety and Security Annual Reports
- Student, Faculty and Staff Responsibilities
- Weapons on Campus