The Physical Therapist Assistant offering at College of Western Idaho (CWI) is part of the Idaho Consortium for Physical Therapist Assistant Education program.
As a student in the Physical Therapist Assistant program, you will be preparing for employment in a growing and fun career in the healthcare field. Your career will involve working under the supervision of a physical therapist to implement plans of care to recover from injuries to the bones and joints, brain and nerves, problems with pain, developmental complications, and other movement problems, to help clients return to maximal functionality.
The Physical Therapist Assistant program will instruct you in the principles and procedures of therapeutic modalities, therapeutic exercise, manual therapy, and neurological interventions. In addition, you will learn basic sciences of anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, and neurology. Integrated throughout the program there are hands-on learning and practice experiences including clinical time and laboratory training to provide you the opportunity to utilize the techniques learned each semester.
The Physical Therapist Assistant program is designed to be completed in two years, culminate in an A.A.S. degree, and prepare you for the national physical therapy exam to become licensed to practice.
CWI is excited to partner with Saint Alphonsus to provide opportunities for individuals to expand their education and grow in their careers. Learn more about this partnership.
The Idaho Consortium for Physical Therapist Assistant Education Program is committed to the provision of quality, relevant, and affordable healthcare education specific to the field of physical therapy and the role and scope of the physical therapist assistant. The consortium program serves its constituent communities through the emphasis of care that is supervised and directed by the physical therapist and reflects the utmost in sensitivity, advocacy, knowledge, and skill.
Healthcare Information Sessions
Want to learn more about this program and other healthcare programs at CWI? Join a Healthcare Information Session to learn about the programs, what you can do to prepare for the programs, meet advisors and instructors, and ask questions. View Upcoming Sessions
The application period for the Fall 2023 classes is closed.
- Complete CWI Associate Degree or Technical Certificate application and be accepted to CWI.
- If you have completed a bachelor's or master's degree, submit a Bachelor's Degree Transfer Credit Request form in advance of applying for the program.
- Verify your coursework by:
- Complete the Idaho Consortium for Physical Therapist Assistant Education application and submit by the due date.
For help or questions regarding the Physical Therapist Assistant Program Application, please contact your advisor, or the CWI program representative:
Idaho Consortium for Physical Therapist Assistant Education
This is a selective-entry program and the following numbers of students will comprise the new cohort:
- College of Western Idaho (CWI) - 14 students
- Lewis-Clark State College (LCSC)* - 6 students
- North Idaho College (NIC) - 10 students
- College of Southern Idaho (CSI)** – 10 students
* Students will be accepted to the LCSC location every other year. The next cohort will begin Fall 2022.
** Students will be accepted to the CSI location every other year. The next cohort will begin Fall 2023.
The Idaho Consortium for Physical Therapist Assistant Education abides by each member college’s practice of non-discrimination and therefore will not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran.
STATEMENT OF ACCREDITATION
The Idaho Consortium for Physical Therapist Assistant Education at College of Southern Idaho, College of Western Idaho, Lewis-Clark State College, and North Idaho College, is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
If needing to contact the program/institution directly, please call 208.665.5051 or email email@example.com
|Licensure Examination Pass Rate:||94%||100%||94%||85%||85%||91%|
|Year Employment Rate:||100%||100%||100%||100%||100%||95%|
|Graduation Year Arrange:||2021-2022 (2 Yr. Average)||2017-2022 (5 Yr. Average)|
|Licensure Examination Pass Rate:||88%||92%|
|Year Employment Rate:||98%||99%|
Complaints Against PTA Program, Faculty, Students or Program Graduates:
An individual may make an inquiry regarding complaint procedures or about issues and concerns that could be considered complaints. The Idaho Consortium for Physical Therapist Assistant Education's response and its obligations to meet the specific timetables outlined in these procedures will begin only after a formal written complaint is received by the program director or dean.
Requirements and Costs
Skills, Traits, and Prep Classes
- Understanding of the function of the human body
- Compassion, empathy, and a desire to serve others
- Physical stamina and dexterity
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI offers advising assistance to help in deciding which courses you need to take to reach your education and career goals. Visit Advising or contact One Stop Student Services for more information.
What are the prerequisites to the program?
- Anatomy and Physiology 1 (must have been completed within the last 7 years)
- Medical Terminology
- English Composition
- Mathematics (MATH 123 or higher)
For more information, please call 208.562.3000 or visit a CWI One Stop at a Campus nearest you.
How do I apply to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program?
- Complete the admission requirements to College of Western Idaho.
- Complete the Physical Therapist Assistant Application from the PTA Consortium
Cost & Aid
As a student in this program, you may be eligible for financial aid and scholarships. Visit Cost & Aid to view tuition and fees, explore types of aid, apply for federal financial aid, and more.
Are you a 2024 Idaho high school graduate? Learn how to get up to $8,000 of your tuition and fees covered at CWI through Idaho LAUNCH.
- Acute Care Hospital Setting
- Rehabilitation Center
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Out Patient Clinics/Sports Medicine
- Pediatric Facilities/School Settings
- Home Health Agency
- Traveling Therapy Companies
A career as a physical therapist assistant can be one of the most rewarding career options a person can pursue. It should be of little surprise as to why this career has one of the highest rates of satisfaction. When people are severely injured they must undergo therapy to allow their damaged muscles and joints to heal properly. For people interested in helping others and providing direct care this may be one of the best career paths to pursue.
Visit the American Physical Therapy Association website to learn more about a career as a physical therapist assistant.
Professional Licensure & Online Program Disclosure
Requirements for professional licensure in fields, such as health care and other fields, vary from state to state. If you live outside Idaho and are considering enrolling in a College of Western Idaho program that leads to a professional license, we highly recommended you visit the appropriate state licensing agency website in your state, or the state where you intend to work, to find the most up-to-date information about state licensure requirements before beginning the program. Find more information regarding licensure for this program.
- Administrative Specialist
- Advanced Mechatronics Engineering Technology
- Automotive Technology
- Bookkeeping and Accounting
- Cisco Networking and Security Technologies
- Collision Repair Technology
- Computer Support Specialist
- Dental Assisting
- Drafting Technology
- Education, Early Childhood
- Fire Service Management
- Fire Service Technology
- Heavy Duty Truck Technician
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Horticulture Technology
- Law Enforcement
- Machine Tool Technology
- Marketing Communications
- Medical Administrative Support
- Medical Assistant - Credit
- Network and System Administration
- Nursing, Practical
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Powersports and Small Engine Repair Technology
- Software Development
- Surgical Technology
- Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Welding and Metals Fabrication
- Wildland Fire Management