Annual Application Period Now Extended
Applications are being accepted for the Fall 2022 program start, now through July 22, 2022. Program application details are below.
NEW Evening Classes
In addition to the morning and afternoon Medical Assistant classes, CWI has added NEW evening classes for the fall 2022 start.
A Medical Assistant performs administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of a physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding information for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by a physician.
The Medical Assistant program at CWI offers you two pathways for your future career as a Medical Assistant:
- An Intermediate Technical Certificate (ITC) where you complete a semester of pre-requisites then two semesters of Medical Assistant classes.
- An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree where you complete the ITC and an additional semester of healthcare focused courses, which are available online, to receive an associate degree in addition to the ITC.
Want to learn more about this program and other healthcare programs at CWI? Join a Healthcare Information Session to learn about the programs, what you can do to prepare for the programs, meet advisors and instructors, and ask questions.
Classes beginning Aug. 2022 – Application period opens Jan. 18, 2022, and closes, July 22, 2022.
PLEASE NOTE: Fall 2022 Cohort Applicants will be notified via their CWI Email of the status of their application.
- Complete CWI Associate Degree or Technical Certificate application and be accepted to CWI.
- If you have completed a bachelor's or master's degree, submit a Bachelor's Degree Transfer Credit Request form.
- Verify your prerequisite coursework by:
- Complete the Medical Assistant Application and submit by the due date.
For help or questions regarding the Medical Assistant Program Application, please contact:
Statement of Accreditation
The Medical Assistant Intermediate Technical Certificate (ITC) at College of Western Idaho is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB). This program meets the standards set in the education of quality patient care by competent well-trained professionals.
The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
9355 - 113th St. N., #7709
Seminole, FL 33775
The following is the aggregate outcome from our 2020 Annual Report Form (ARF) from MAERB for our 2018 cohort:
- Medical Assisting Program at CWI has average retention rate of 95.65 percent.
- Medical Assisting Program at CWI has a job placement average rate of 95 percent.
- Medical Assisting Program at CWI has an average employer satisfaction rate of 100 percent.
- Medical Assisting Program at CWI has an average graduate satisfaction rate of 100 percent.
1. To prepare competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), Psychomotor (skills) and effective (behavior) learning domains.
2. To prepare medical assistant students to successfully complete the CMA examination and practice as skilled practitioners.
3. To provide real life learning experiences to assist graduates in master of performing administrative and clerical skills to provide quality healthcare.
4. To provide a competent entry level Medical Assistant program to Treasure Valley in number sufficient to meet the needs of the health care community.
What You Will Learn to Do
- Working understanding of medical office practices that include:
- Soft skills necessary for scheduling and patient interactions
- Working understanding of Electronic Medical Records
- Use of medical records coding systems as ICD10 and CPT codes
- Understanding and practice of HIPPA regulations
- Knowledge of Medical Law and Ethics
- Clinical skills that include:
- Proficiency taking vital signs, removing sutures, giving injections and immunizations, performing EKG, urinalysis, CLIA waive tests and other labs
- Proficiency with phlebotomy, assisting physician with minor surgical procedures, prepping and wrapping instruments used in minor surgical procedures
A Certified Medical Assistant credit program is being requested by the industry, specifically local hospitals, to meet the demand for Certified Medical Assistants in outpatient clinic settings.
Requirements and Costs
Degrees and Certificates
Medical Assistant - Associate of Applied Science Degree
*See the Course Delivery Styles page for details about class options
Medical Assistant - Intermediate Technical Certificate
*See the Course Delivery Styles page for details about class options
Important Dates for Credit Programs
|Summer 2022||Fall 2022||Spring 2023|
|Priority Registration Begins1||n/a||April 11||November 14|
|Open Registration Begins||February 28||April 18||November 21|
|Financial Aid Priority Deadline||May 14||July 30||December 17|
|Admission Deadline2||May 28||August 13||January 7|
|Last Day to Register for Classes||June 3||August 19||January 13|
|Tuition and Fees Due||June 3||August 19||January 13|
|Classes Begin3||June 6||August 22||January 17|
|1 Priority registration is limited to continuing students. Students are assigned a registration time based upon their cumulative credits earned. Students should check myCWI and their CWI email to learn their assigned registration time. Students may register online anytime on or after their assigned registration time.|
|2 The admission deadline for international students is earlier than the deadline for non-international students and is only available during the fall and spring semesters. Please consult the Academic Calendar for the international student admission deadlines for the fall and spring semesters.|
|3 Some classes begin before or after this date. Please refer to the Registration and Refund Deadlines by Class Section Dates (located beneath each semester) of the Academic Calendar for more information.|
Skills, Traits, and Prep Classes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A desire to serve others
- Exactness and precise attention to detail
- Computer Literacy Skills
- Health-oriented professional image
- Completion of pre-requisite Biology and Medical Terminology, as well as core Math, Psychology, English and Communications
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI offers advising assistance to help in deciding which courses you need to take to reach your education and career goals. Visit Advising or contact One Stop Student Services for more information.
For maximum consideration when applying to the Medical Assistant Program, it is recommended that you complete the pre and co-requisite courses, with a grade of "C" or higher. However, in-progress courses may be used by including them on a completed COURSE CREDIT VERIFICATION FORM. In-progress coursework will be verified upon the submittal of your official transcripts at semester end. Course equivalencies are determined by CWI.
Connecting With Ideas
Connecting With Ideas (CWID 101) is the first semester student success course designed to help CWI students become engaged members of the academic community and cultivate habits for lifelong achievement and success. Each semester, students can select from a variety of themes. More information about next semesters CWID 101 themes
Look beyond your degree at CWI and plan for continuing your education by working closely with CWI advising and representatives of your intended transfer school. Planning before you transfer can save you time and money. Visit Transfer Information for more information or contact One Stop Student Services.
Financial Aid Available
Did you know that as a student in this program you may be eligible for financial aid? Through grants, scholarships, and loans, more than 60 percent of first-time, full-time CWI students receive some form of financial assistance. To learn more about financial aid options and whether you may be eligible, visit Financial Aid.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for a full-time CWI student averages half the cost of a state university and a third of the cost of a private college. Tuition and fees vary based on program and residence. Visit Tuition and Fees for more information.
Employment of medical assistants is projected to grow 29 percent from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations. The growth of the aging baby-boom population will continue to spur demand for preventive medical services, which are often provided by physicians. As their practices expand, physicians will hire mor assistants to perform routine administrative and clinical duties, allowing the physicians to see more patients.
Medical Assistants are the most versatile allied health professionals. They are cross-trained to perform clinical and administrative responsibilities. Medical Assistants work alongside physicians, mainly in outpatient or ambulatory care facilities, such as medical offices and clinics. Most full-time Medical Assistants work a regular 40-hour week. Some work part time, evenings, or weekends.
Program Department Chair
- Administrative Specialist
- Advanced Mechatronics Engineering Technology
- Automotive Technology
- Bookkeeping and Accounting
- Cisco Networking and Security Technologies
- Collision Repair Technology
- Computer Support Specialist
- Dental Assisting
- Drafting Technology
- Education, Early Childhood
- Fire Service Management
- Fire Service Technology
- Heavy Duty Truck Technician
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Horticulture Technology
- Law Enforcement
- Machine Tool Technology
- Marketing Communications
- Medical Administrative Support
- Medical Assistant - Credit
- Network and System Administration
- Nursing, Practical
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Powersports and Small Engine Repair Technology
- Professional Truck Driving
- Software Development
- Surgical Technology
- Swift Programming
- Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Welding and Metals Fabrication
- Wildland Fire Management