The College of Western Idaho (CWI) Foundation is pleased to award the winners of this year's mini-grants. There were 13 applications submitted and the following five applicants were awarded mini-grants by the Scholarships and Grants Committee of the CWI Foundation:
- American Sign Language (ASL) Mirror $395 (submitted by Gayla Huskey) – Purchase and install a large mirror at the Nampa Campus Academic Building Language Lab, room 209B. ASL students will be able to practice signs that include phonemic components including movement of the face and torso as well as the hands.
- Media Lab Expansion $727 (submitted by Michelle Mahoney) – Purchase additional media equipment that will be used by students in the Media Club and Communication classes.
- Medical Assistant Suture Arms $825 (submitted by Courtney Santillan) – Purchase five life-like arms for students in the Medical Assisting programs in both Professional Technical Education and Workforce Development to learn and perform hands-on training in removing sutures and staples, performing dressing changes, packing and caring for wounds, and performing cultures.
- Racermate Computrainer $865 (submitted by Tim Curry) – Funding will assist in the purchase a Racermate Computrainer for the CWI Human Performance and Health Lab to perform physiology testing on cyclists. This new equipment will allow the lab to offer services to cyclists in the Treasure Valley which will give more hands-on experience to the students.
- Video Display Cart $1,165 (submitted by Dave Sperry) – Funding will assist in the purchase of a TV and camera for the Machine Tool Program. This equipment will be used to both display live teaching demonstrations and record the demonstrations for student review. Students will be able to review the more complex demonstrations on their own time allowing for more hand-on time in class.
The CWI Foundation’s goal is to increase funding for mini-grants to allow for more awards each year. Mini-grants are funded by generous contributions from community supporters, businesses, and CWI employees. Please contact the CWI Foundation office by phone 208.562.3100 or email email@example.com for more information.