Giving Tax Benefits
You are here
Maximize your tax return with donations to the College of Western Idaho (CWI) Foundation!
- Gifts to the CWI Foundation may be deducted on your state and federal returns, reducing the amount of taxes you owe.
- The CWI Foundation is recognized as a tax-exempt organization under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Tax ID #27-1159705
The information on this page is provided for discussion purposed only and should not be considered legal, accounting, or other professional advice. Tax benefits are dependent on your personal income and filing status. Please consult a tax professional for guidance specific to your situation.
Idaho Education Tax Credit
Donations to the CWI Foundation may qualify for a 50% tax credit — a reduction in the actual tax you owe.
Your tax benefit is dependent on your personal income level and filing status.
- Idaho individuals may take up to 50% of a gift of $1,000 (a tax credit of $500)
- Idaho married couples may take up to 50% of a gift of $2,000 (a tax credit of $1,000)
- Idaho corporations may take up to 50% of a gift of $10,000 (a tax credit of $5,000)
Qualified Charitable Deductions
Currently, people age 70½ or older can make direct transfers of up to $100,000 per year, per person to charitable organizations from their Individual Retirement Account (IRA) without the withdrawal being treated as taxable income. The withdrawal may be counted toward your Required Minimum Distribution. Please remember the distribution must go directly to a charity.
Contact the CWI Foundation for additional instructions on making a gift through your IRA.
Gifts of Stock
Your direct gift of appreciated stocks and securities may allow you to avoid capital gains taxes, while still receiving a tax deduction for your gifts.
Contact the CWI Foundation for brokerage information on making a direct gifts of stocks or securities.