Transferring to CWI

You are here

About Accreditation

Accreditation is the act of granting credit or recognition, by a governing body, of an educational institution. Accreditation is necessary to any educational institution to prove that they are maintaining suitable standards or quality. College of Western Idaho relies on the following accrediting associations standards to evaluate and accept academic college-level credits and grades earned by transfer students:

CWI's Transfer Process

The Registrar’s Office determines transfer course equivalencies according to CWI’s procedures and as directed by instructional leadership. Once you are admitted as a degree-seeking student, and provide your official college transcript, your transcript will be evaluated and credit awarded based on the applicability of credit toward a CWI degree or certificate requires for your declared major. If a course is determined to be equivalent credit will be recorded as a part of your academic record history (will not be removed), and you can count that course toward your credential at CWI.

More specifically, the Registrar’s Office compares course descriptions from your transfer institution (from the year you earned the credit) to the courses CWI offers. In addition, if a credential is posted on your transcript (associate of arts, associate of science, or bachelor degree), we waive your general education or GEM courses. CWI degree specific requirements will still need to be met.

After an evaluation provided by the Registrar’s Office, students may request further review of transfer credit after initial evaluation by using the Exception to Academic Requirements form to request a course equivalency, a substitution of non-equivalent transfer credit to satisfy specific degree or certificate requirements, and/or the acceptance of credit from schools not regionally accredited. Students may be required to provide a course description or course syllabus prior to review.

Transfer students seeking an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science or Associate of Applied Science degree must complete twenty percent (20%) of required credits for a certificate or degree at CWI.

Understanding Your Evaluation

Your evaluated credits may fall into three different categories: 1) equivalent to a CWI course, 2) non-equivalent coursework or 3) non-equivalent general education or GEM courses. The chart below helps to outline what you will see on your Transfer Equivalency Report and on your My Progress for degree planning. 

Type of Course Transfer Course Transcripted Definition
Equivalent E-111 ENGL 101 CWI accepts the transfer course and it is directly equivalent to CWI course
Non-Equivalent THEA-220 THEA-000 CWI accepts the course toward your CWI credential, but doesn’t offer an exact equivalent course
Non-Equivalent GEM ART-100 ARTS-000C CWI accepts the course as a general education course (GEM) toward your CWI credential, but doesn’t offer an exact equivalent course

Transferring Quarter Credits

If you transfer credit from an institution that operates on a quarter credit system, your credit hours will be converted to semester credits. For example, a three-credit course on the quarter system will transfer as two credits to a semester system. If a course has been evaluated as equivalent, you will not need to repeat it to make up deficiencies in credit. You will, however, be responsible for earning the minimum total hours required for graduation. 
View conversion chart for Converting Quarter Hours to Semester Hours

  • Articulation and Transfer to Other Institutions

    CWI will participate in Idaho’s Statewide Articulation and Associate Degree Policy. This means that when you transfer your Associate of Arts or Science degree from CWI to a four-year public institution in Idaho, you will not be required to complete any additional lower division general education core classes.  This policy is not intended to meet specific major requirements – i.e. engineering, pharmacy, business, etc.

    Transferring from CWI