How do I use the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)?
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) allows students and/or parents to access tax data needed to complete the financial aid application (FAFSA). Data may be transferred directly into the FAFSA when completing or making a correction.
If you are ineligible or choose not to use the IRS DRT to retrieve tax information, CWI may require a copy of your and/or your parent(s) Tax Return or Tax Return Transcript.
- Go to www.studentaid.ed.gov and log in. Select Make FAFSA Corrections > Financial Information.
- Select Already Completed, then next, and to see if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT, answer the prompted questions. If you are not eligible, see the reverse side of this How To.
- Select Link to IRS. If prompted, enter FSA ID information.
- The next screen will ask you if you wish to leave the application page, select OK.
- Fill in the required information, select Submit.
- The information entered must match what was reported on your tax return.
- Select Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA then Transfer Now.
- Once you have selected transfer, you will be directed back to your FAFSA with a notification stating “You have successfully transferred your IRS tax information.” You may now complete the remainder of your FAFSA.
- 1 of 3
- next ›