Social networking sites are a great way to stay connected and communicate, but according to the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT), individuals are not exercising enough caution when sharing personal information.
US-CERT suggests the following in order to protect yourself on social networking sites:
- Limit the amount of personal information you post.
- Remember the Internet is a public resource.
- Be wary of strangers.
- Be skeptical.
- Evaluate your settings.
- Be wary of third-party applications.
- Use strong passwords.
- Check privacy policies.
- Keep software, particularly your web browser, up to date.
- Use and maintain anti-virus software.
Contact Mike Wilson at email@example.com or 208.562.3193 with questions or for more information, and stay tuned for more tips and information on cybersecurity awareness in future issues of Bert’s Alerts.