College of Western Idaho's annual Wildland Fire Academy is returning to give students and the next generation of firefighters a great training experience!Read more about Training the Next Generation of Wildland Firefighters
Wildland Fire Academy
Stoke Ambition with Training in Wildland Firefighting Techniques and Equipment
College of Western Idaho (CWI), in partnership with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), United States Forest Service (USFS), and Idaho Department of Lands (IDL), proudly presents the annual Wildland Fire Academy. This program is designed for those passionate about a career in wildland firefighting, a profession offering diverse job experiences and invaluable skills.
During the academy, you will receive specialized training for both grass and timber wildfires, with an emphasis on safety procedures. The program includes both classroom learning and live fire training, ensuring a comprehensive educational experience. Over one week, you will take classes utilizing the National Wildfire Coordinating Group curriculum, ranging from classroom instruction to hands-on training. This five-day course, is specifically designed for entry-level students, providing a solid foundation in wildland firefighting.
Degree or Certificate Type
- Diverse Firefighting Skills: Learn to operate firefighting equipment like chainsaws, wildland fire engines, and water pumps.
- Safety Procedures & Live Fire Training: Master safety procedures and engage in live fire training.
- Weather Reading & Fire Line Techniques: Gain skills in reading weather conditions and efficiently digging fire lines.
- Tree Felling & Equipment Operation: Learn safe tree felling techniques and operate various firefighting equipment.
- National Wildfire Coordinating Group Curriculum: Participate in courses covering a broad spectrum of wildland firefighting topics.
Area of Study
Degrees & Certificates
Certificate of Completion
- Choose your desired Wildland Fire Academy course, then Add to Cart.
- Courses are added throughout the year. If your desired course is not listed, check back or request more information to learn more.
- Create a new profile, or sign in with your existing username and password if prompted.
- Complete checkout.
Are you a 2024 Idaho high school graduate? Learn how to get up to $8,000 of your tuition and fees covered at CWI through Idaho LAUNCH.
Already a student? We are here to help you navigate your educational journey, connect you to academic and support resources, and achieve your academic or career goals.
Forty wildland fire recruits spent the week of May 23 at College of Western Idaho training and learning new skills to battle fires this summer.Read more about Rookie Fire School Returns to CWI
Firefighting recruits spent a week at the end of May training at CWI to battle wildfires this summer.Read more about Wildland Fire Training