The College of Western Idaho is proud to partner with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), United States Forest Service (USFS), and Idaho Department of Lands (IDL) to bring you the annual Wildland Fire Academy.
Wildland firefighting is a very diverse profession and provides a wide array of job experience. Firefighters learn how to run firefighting equipment such as chainsaws, wildland fire engines, water pumps and other mechanized tools. They also learn how to read the weather and record it, efficiently dig fire line, safely cut down trees, operate various firefighting equipment, conduct safety briefings and drills, and a wealth of other useful skills.
Workforce Development at College of Western Idaho (CWI) provides you high-quality, short-term training to boost your job skills, acquire new career skills, and earn the certificates you need. Take as many classes as you want in our short-term, credit free classes with no applications, no transcripts, and no hassle. Just sign up and watch your career take off.
Classes are offered at a variety of locations throughout western Idaho that are taught by knowledgeable professionals with years of experience in the topics they teach.
Why This Program
The academy provides specialized training for both grass and timber wildfires with an emphasis on safety procedures includes both classroom and live fire training.
In one week, you will be offered classes utilizing the National Wildfire Coordinating Group curriculum. During this time you will have the opportunity to take lower and upper division classes.
Basic Fire School is a five day course designed for entry-level students.
Requirements and Costs
Degrees and Certificates
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI Workforce Development offers advising assistance, to help in deciding which courses you need to take to complete your education and career goals. Have a specific question or just want general assistance? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 208.562.2700 and we’ll be happy to help get you on your way!
- Course fees vary
Class costs and fees are subject to change without notice.
There are an assortment of scholarship opportunities available if you qualify to help cover some or all of the costs associated with classes offered through CWI Workforce Development. Call us at 208.562.2700 for more information.
- Healthcare & Emergency Medical Services
- Assistance with Medications
- Career Success in Healthcare
- Certified Dietary Manager
- Certified Family Home
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Preparation Classes
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Healthcare Management
- Hemodialysis Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing for Outpatient Services
- Mental Health Technician
- Patient Care Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
- Trades, Manufacturing and Construction
- Applied Technology and Apprenticeship
- Certified Electronics Tech (CET)
- Computer Drafting
- Construction Career Launcher
- Construction Site Erosion Control
- DC Electrical Troubleshooting
- Electrical Apprenticeship
- Electrical Upgrade Training
- FANUC Robotics
- Flagging for Traffic Control
- HVAC Apprenticeship
- HVAC Upgrade Training
- Plumbing Apprenticeship
- Plumbing Upgrade Training
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
- Welding - Short Term Training Classes
- Technology and Business Solutions
- Customized Training
- Wildland Fire Academy
- Workforce Development Orientation