College of Western Idaho is proud to be part of Business Professionals of America (BPA), the leading Career and Technical Student Organization for students pursuing careers in business management, office administration, information technology, and...
Medical Administrative Support
You are here
Medical Administrative Support Program
Enrolling in CWI’s Medical Administrative Support program will provide you exposure to a profession that performs a variety of duties in a medical environment. Physicians rely on well-trained medical administrative support professionals to assist in the operation of a medical office and the documentation of patient care. Successful students in this program typically possess above-average skills in communication, organization, and attention to detail.
Specialized coursework focuses on medical terminology, electronic health records, health information management, human relations, exceptional customer service, insurance, and billing. This program is competency-based, specifying the student performance objectives required for employment.
Why This Program
Careers in all areas of healthcare are in great demand throughout the nation. Medical office administrative support professionals are critical to the support of clinical staff in the health care industry. Physicians rely on well-trained medical administrative support professionals to assist in the operation of a medical office and the documentation of patient care.
What You Will Learn to Do
- Manage and maintain all aspects of an office environment
- Use and understand medical terminology
- Learn to use the latest workplace technology and computer software
- Schedule appointments and register patients using specialized medical software
- Maintain confidential medical records and prepare correspondence
- Learn to interact with a diverse population
- Prepare patient insurance claims and complete the medical billing cycle
- Understand the complex world of healthcare compliance and regulatory issues
- Work professionally and ethically as a part of a medical team
Requirements and Costs
Degrees and Certificates
Medical Administrative Support - Basic Technical Certificate
Explore the resources below for information, dates, and deadlines related to admissions, financial aid, registration, and next steps.
|Dates & Deadlines for Credit Programs||Summer 2023||Fall 2023||Spring 2024|
|Priority Registration Begins 1||N/A||Apr 10||Nov 13 (2023)|
|Open Registration Begins||Feb 27||Apr 17||Nov 20 (2023)|
|Financial Aid Priority Deadline||May 13||Jul 29||Dec 16 (2023)|
|Admission Deadline 2||May 27||Aug 12||Jan 6|
|Last Day to Register for Classes||Jun 2||Aug 18||Jan 12|
|Tuition and Fees Due||Jun 2||Aug 18||Jan 12|
|Classes Begin 3||Jun 5||Aug 21||Jan 16|
1 Priority registration is limited to continuing students. Students are assigned a registration time based on their cumulative credits earned. Students should check myCWI and their CWI email to learn their assigned registration time. Students may register online anytime on or after their assigned registration time.
2 The Admission Deadline for international students is earlier than the deadline for non-international students and is only available during the fall and spring semesters. Please consult the Academic Calendar for the international student admission deadlines.
3 Classes in shorter sessions (including 4-, 5-, and 8-week sessions) may begin before or after this date. Please refer to the specific class session sections beneath the full Academic Calendar for more information.
Skills, Traits, and Prep Classes
- A desire to provide exceptional service for patients in a medical setting
- Compassion, dependability, and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- College-level reading and writing skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Precise attention to detail
- Clean criminal background check
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI offers advising assistance to help in deciding which courses you need to take to reach your education and career goals. Visit Advising or contact One Stop Student Services for more information.
Financial Aid Available
Did you know that as a student in this program you may be eligible for financial aid? Through grants, scholarships, and loans, more than 60 percent of first-time, full-time CWI students receive some form of financial assistance. To learn more about financial aid options and whether you may be eligible, visit Financial Aid.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for a full-time CWI student averages half the cost of a state university and a third of the cost of a private college. Tuition and fees vary based on program and residence. Visit Tuition and Fees for more information.
- A variety of medical specialty practices
- Nursing homes
- Medical insurance and billing companies
- Many other health care facilities
Careers in all areas of healthcare are in great demand throughout the nation. Medical Administrative support professionals are critical to the support of clinical staff in the health care industry. Physicians rely on well-trained medical administrative support professionals to assist in the operation of a medical office and the documentation of patient care.
College of Western Idaho is committed to maintaining a Respectful Community by providing equal opportunity for all individuals and does not discriminate in services, benefits, or activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, veteran status, age, or any other legally protected status. More on Title IX
News and Blogs
College of Western Idaho invites anyone interested in or thinking about pursuing a career in healthcare to attend the 2022 Health Professions Open House Tuesday, Nov. 1.
The CWI Foundation received a $2,000 grant from the John William Jackson Fund.
Career & Technical Education
- Administrative Specialist
- Advanced Mechatronics Engineering Technology
- Automotive Technology
- Bookkeeping and Accounting
- Cisco Networking and Security Technologies
- Collision Repair Technology
- Computer Support Specialist
- Dental Assisting
- Drafting Technology
- Education, Early Childhood
- Fire Service Management
- Fire Service Technology
- Heavy Duty Truck Technician
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Horticulture Technology
- Law Enforcement
- Machine Tool Technology
- Marketing Communications
- Medical Administrative Support
- Medical Assistant - Credit
- Network and System Administration
- Nursing, Practical
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Powersports and Small Engine Repair Technology
- Software Development
- Surgical Technology
- Swift Programming
- Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Welding and Metals Fabrication
- Wildland Fire Management