Join College of Western Idaho (CWI) in honoring Latinx Heritage month with a week worth of celebrations on campus! The College will celebrate the histories, culture, traditions, and contributions of those whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America during Latinx Heritage Month Week of Celebration, Sept. 20 – 22.
Events, hosted at the Nampa Campus Academic Building (NCAB), will be filled with presentations, workshops, food, and more including a keynote presentation by Ivan Castillo, former President of the CWI Foundation Board.
Latinx Student Services Coordinator, Sitlaly Escamilla, said this week’s events highlight local latinx leaders and businesses around our community. She hopes CWI latinx students feel represented through this week’s festivities and other students on campus can learn more about latinx culture.
“We want to raise awareness of what is out in our community – raise the voices of those businesses and other individuals who may not have a voice and give them the opportunity to highlight their contributions to our community,” Escamilla said. “At the end of the day we want everyone we cross paths with to walk away with empowerment and know there are people out there to support them.”
Latinx Heritage Month Week of Celebration events:
Tuesday, Sept. 20
- Noon – Presentation, CWI Latinx Student Services by CWI Latinx Student Services Team
- 1 p.m. – Tamales and Jarritos
- 2 p.m. – Workshop Latinx Line Dance-Payaso de Rodeo
Wednesday, Sept. 21
- Noon – Presentation, History of Baile Folklorico by Monique Michel of Ballet Folklorico Mexico Lindo
- 1 p.m. – Live music by Maide Sandoval, a CWI Law Enforcement Alumna, and Tacos and Jarritos
- 2 p.m. – Presentation and Exhibit, Finding Balance in Art, Family, and Work by Bobby Gaytan
Thursday, Sept. 22
- Noon – Latinx Bingo, music, and activities
- 2 p.m. – Keynote presentation, The Journey of a Servant Leader by Ivan Castillo
For those with questions or want to find out more about the week’s events, contact Latinx Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org