College of Western Idaho is proud to be part of Business Professionals of America (BPA), the leading Career and Technical Student Organization for students pursuing careers in business management, office administration, information technology, and...
Bookkeeping and accounting professionals are in high demand, and as a student in this program you will learn basic knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting processes that are required for a variety of career paths. This program will help prepare you to find employment in professions such as an accounting clerk, accounting technician, accounting associate, payroll clerk, or bookkeeper. Upon completion, you will have an opportunity to obtain credentialing as a Certified Bookkeeper by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB), a national standard of excellence in the profession. So, if you like numbers, order, and troubleshooting, you will enjoy this career!
This program will prepare you for an entry-level accounting position. Employers include almost every area of business and industry, including, but not limited to, corporations, small companies, healthcare organizations, nonprofit groups, and more!
Why This Program
The College of Western Idaho (CWI) provides an Bookkeeping and Accounting program that will ready you to take several industry standard certification exams such as the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers’ Certified Bookkeeper exam, the American Payroll Association’s Fundamental Payroll Specialist exam, and Microsoft Certifications. Each of these certifications allow recipients to proudly display their credentials after their names demonstrating a professional competency to potential employers.
What You Will Learn to Do
- Process daily accounting transactions, journals, and ledgers, prepare financial statements, perform payroll functions, and manage cash and accrual
- Develop skill and proficiency using the latest version of QuickBooks. Proficiency leads to certification
- Understand the legal environment affecting business, business ethics, and social responsibility
- Learn accounting procedures for managerial decision-making
- Review legal and regulatory environment of the business organization including taxation, controls, and compliance
- Prepare to write and speak professionally
- Develop skill and proficiency using the latest Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and Access. Proficiency leads to MOS certification
- Prepare for the AIPB Professional Bookkeeping Certification
Requirements and Costs
Degrees and Certificates
Skills, Traits, and Prep Classes
- Interest in a business career
- Enjoyment of working with others
- Precise attention to detail
- Keyboarding proficiency is a plus
- College-level reading skills
- Fluency in the English Language
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI offers advising assistance to help in deciding which courses you need to take to reach your education and career goals. Visit Advising or contact One Stop Student Services for more information.
Because of the homework load of this program, it is recommended that students do not hold a job outside of class that requires more than 20 hours per week.
Cost & Aid
As a student in this program, you may be eligible for financial aid and scholarships. Visit Cost & Aid to view tuition and fees, explore types of aid, apply for federal financial aid, and more.
Are you a 2024 Idaho high school graduate? Learn how to get up to $8,000 of your tuition and fees covered at CWI through Idaho LAUNCH.
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
- Brokerage Clerks
- Statistical Assistants
- Bioinformatics Technicians
This program will prepare you for an entry-level accounting position.
Employers include almost every area of business and industry, including, but not limited to, corporations, small companies, healthcare organizations, nonprofit groups, and more.
Program Department Chair
- Administrative Specialist
- Advanced Mechatronics Engineering Technology
- Automotive Technology
- Bookkeeping and Accounting
- Cisco Networking and Security Technologies
- Collision Repair Technology
- Computer Support Specialist
- Dental Assisting
- Drafting Technology
- Education, Early Childhood
- Fire Service Management
- Fire Service Technology
- Heavy Duty Truck Technician
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Horticulture Technology
- Law Enforcement
- Machine Tool Technology
- Marketing Communications
- Medical Administrative Support
- Medical Assistant - Credit
- Network and System Administration
- Nursing, Practical
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Powersports and Small Engine Repair Technology
- Software Development
- Surgical Technology
- Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Welding and Metals Fabrication
- Wildland Fire Management