Business Professionals of America is the leading CTSO (Career and Technical Student Organization) for students pursuing careers in business management, office administration, information technology and other related career fields. BPA has 43,000...
Bookkeeping and accounting professionals are in high demand, and as a student in this program you will learn basic knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting processes that are required for a variety of career paths. This program will help prepare you to find employment in professions such as an accounting clerk, accounting technician, accounting associate, payroll clerk, or bookkeeper. Upon completion, you will have an opportunity to obtain credentialing as a Certified Bookkeeper by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB), a national standard of excellence in the profession. So, if you like numbers, order, and troubleshooting, you will enjoy this career!
This program will prepare you for an entry-level accounting position. Employers include almost every area of business and industry, including, but not limited to, corporations, small companies, healthcare organizations, nonprofit groups, and more!
Why This Program
The College of Western Idaho (CWI) provides an Bookkeeping and Accounting program that will ready you to take several industry standard certification exams such as the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers’ Certified Bookkeeper exam, the American Payroll Association’s Fundamental Payroll Specialist exam, and Microsoft Certifications. Each of these certifications allow recipients to proudly display their credentials after their names demonstrating a professional competency to potential employers.
What You Will Learn to Do
- Process daily accounting transactions, journals, and ledgers, prepare financial statements, perform payroll functions, and manage cash and accrual
- Develop skill and proficiency using the latest version of QuickBooks. Proficiency leads to certification
- Understand the legal environment affecting business, business ethics, and social responsibility
- Learn accounting procedures for managerial decision-making
- Review legal and regulatory environment of the business organization including taxation, controls, and compliance
- Prepare to write and speak professionally
- Develop skill and proficiency using the latest Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and Access. Proficiency leads to MOS certification
- Prepare for the AIPB Professional Bookkeeping Certification
Beta Sigma Pi is an Honor Society at the College of Western Idaho. We are not a sorority, fraternity, or club. We are a chapter of Phi Theta Kappa and part of the Rocky Mountain Cascade Region, which includes Idaho, Utah, and Oregon. Phi Theta...
Requirements and Costs
Degrees and Certificates
Bookkeeping and Accounting - Associate of Applied Science Degree
Bookkeeping and Accounting - Advanced Technical Certificate
Professional Bookkeeping - Basic Technical Certificate
Important Dates for Credit Programs
|Spring 2022||Summer 2022||Fall 2022|
|Priority Registration Begins1||November 8||n/a||April 11|
|Open Registration Begins||November 15||February 28||April 18|
|Financial Aid Priority Deadline||December 18||May 14||July 30|
|Admission Deadline2||January 8||May 28||August 13|
|Last Day to Register for Classes||January 14||June 3||August 19|
|Tuition and Fees Due||January 14||June 3||August 19|
|Classes Begin3||January 18||June 6||August 22|
|1 Priority registration is limited to continuing students. Students are assigned a registration time based upon their cumulative credits earned. Students should check myCWI and their CWI email to learn their assigned registration time. Students may register online anytime on or after their assigned registration time.|
|2 The admission deadline for international students is earlier than the deadline for non-international students and is only available during the fall and spring semesters. Please consult the Academic Calendar for the international student admission deadlines for the fall and spring semesters.|
|3 Some classes begin before or after this date. Please refer to the Registration and Refund Deadlines by Class Section Dates (located beneath each semester) of the Academic Calendar for more information.|
Skills, Traits, and Prep Classes
- Interest in a business career
- Enjoyment of working with others
- Precise attention to detail
- Keyboarding proficiency is a plus
- College-level reading skills
- Fluency in the English Language
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI offers advising assistance to help in deciding which courses you need to take to reach your education and career goals. Visit Advising or contact One Stop Student Services for more information.
Because of the homework load of this program, it is recommended that students do not hold a job outside of class that requires more than 20 hours per week.
Financial Aid Available
Did you know that as a student in this program you may be eligible for financial aid? Through grants, scholarships, and loans, more than 60 percent of first-time, full-time CWI students receive some form of financial assistance. To learn more about financial aid options and whether you may be eligible, visit Financial Aid.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for a full-time CWI student averages half the cost of a state university and a third of the cost of a private college. Tuition and fees vary based on program and residence. Visit Tuition and Fees for more information.
This program will prepare you for an entry-level accounting position.
Employers include almost every area of business and industry, including, but not limited to, corporations, small companies, healthcare organizations, nonprofit groups, and more.
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
- Brokerage Clerks
- Statistical Assistants
- Bioinformatics Technicians
Program Department Chair
- Administrative Specialist
- Advanced Mechatronics Engineering Technology
- Auto Body Technology
- Automotive Technology
- Bookkeeping and Accounting
- Cisco Networking and Security Technologies
- Computer Support Specialist
- Dental Assisting
- Drafting Technology
- Education, Early Childhood
- Fire Service Management
- Fire Service Technology
- Heavy Duty Truck Technician
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Horticulture Technology, Horticulturist
- Law Enforcement
- Machine Tool Technology
- Marketing Communications
- Medical Administrative Support
- Medical Assistant - Credit
- Network and System Administration
- Nursing, Practical
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Powersports and Small Engine Repair Technology
- Professional Truck Driving
- Software Development
- Surgical Technology
- Swift Programming
- Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Welding and Metals Fabrication
- Wildland Fire Management