Business Professionals of America is the leading CTSO (Career and Technical Student Organization) for students pursuing careers in business management, office administration, information technology and other related career fields. BPA has 43,000...
The Administrative Specialist program provides skills for students seeking a career in office administration. Students gain proficiency in leading office application software with the opportunity to obtain Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certifications. Students gain strong editing and writing skills, business math and accounting fundamentals, digital publishing and basic website design, and maintenance training.
The career-focused Administrative Specialist program offers you three areas of emphasis:
- Bookkeeping and Accounting
Prepares students by enhancing the skills of individuals who are seeking or are currently employed in accounting-related positions.
- Medical Administrative Support
Prepares students by building medical front office skills, enhancing human relations skills, and training with medical office software for scheduling, submitting electronic bills, and documenting patient encounters.
- Marketing Communications
Offers students a wide-range of business courses including business concepts, marketing, promotion, selling, or management.
Program graduates are equipped with the office and management skills necessary to become productive and responsible leaders in today’s workplace.
The Administrative Specialist program also offers three 12-month certificates:
- Business Technology Certificate
Provides students with the necessary training to complete tasks on the desktop computer and in a virtual world. By earning this certificate students will learn basic computer programs, how to create projects by integrating applications, and work with teams in an online environment.
- Business Writing Certificate
Provides students with principles and strategies for effective written and oral communication in business. Students will develop and enhance skills in business writing, detecting and correcting errors in format, punctuation, spelling, grammar and word usage.
- Office Management Certificate
Provides students with necessary skills to operate in an office environment. Students will develop and enhance skills in accounting, business math, and basic office procedures.
These certificates are a great option for students pursuing the Administrative Specialist AAS and CWI students pursuing other associate degrees as well as current administrative assistants that want professional development.
Well trained Administrative Assistants are always in high demand. These certificates will allow individuals and companies the resources they need for proper training.
Take the next step in your career, and apply today!
The Administrative Specialist program develops students into business support professionals who are empowered to better their lives and to add value to employers and communities. They gain the skills to improve business efficiencies and customer relationships. Students will be prepared to perform complex duties by applying current technology in their careers.
Why This Program
Imagine becoming an important member of an office team. In almost every sector of business and industry, there is a need for skilled administrative assistants. When you enroll in the Administrative Specialist Program here at CWI, we help you learn the skills you need to become a qualified professional. You will receive the skills to manage the day-to-day administrative needs of any office environment.
What You Will Learn to Do
- Prepare to write and speak professionally
- Develop skill and proficiency using the latest Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Proficiency leads to MOS certification
- Apply real-world math skills to specific business processes
- Demonstrate knowledge of accounting processes including the use of computerized accounting software
- Fulfill a specialty or concentration from one of three different areas
- Possess an understanding of the mechanics of websites and the role social media integration has on web design and website management
- Implement design methods and apply software applications to effect visual and written communication across a wide range of digital mediums
- Use appropriate interpersonal skills, with sensitivity to ethnic and cultural differences, as they relate to various workplace situations
More Recommended Programs
Bookkeeping and Accounting professionals are in high demand, and as a student in this program you will learn basic knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting processes that is required for a variety of...
Requirements and Costs
Degrees and Certificates
Important Dates for Credit Programs
|Spring 2023||Summer 2023||Fall 2023|
|Priority Registration Begins1||November 14||n/a||April 10|
|Open Registration Begins||November 21||February 27||April 17|
|Financial Aid Priority Deadline||December 17||May 13||July 29|
|Admission Deadline2||January 7||May 27||August 12|
|Last Day to Register for Classes||January 13||June 2||August 18|
|Tuition and Fees Due||January 13||June 2||August 18|
|Classes Begin3||January 17||June 5||August 21|
|1 Priority registration is limited to continuing students. Students are assigned a registration time based upon their cumulative credits earned. Students should check myCWI and their CWI email to learn their assigned registration time. Students may register online anytime on or after their assigned registration time.|
|2 The admission deadline for international students is earlier than the deadline for non-international students and is only available during the fall and spring semesters. Please consult the Academic Calendar for the international student admission deadlines for the fall and spring semesters.|
|3 Some classes begin before or after this date. Please refer to the Registration and Refund Deadlines by Class Section Dates (located beneath each semester) of the Academic Calendar for more information.|
Skills, Traits, and Prep Classes
- Interest in a business career
- Enjoyment of working with others
- Keyboarding proficiency is a plus
- College-level reading skills
- Fluency in the English Language
Navigating your way through college can be confusing, especially if you try to go it alone. CWI offers advising assistance to help in deciding which courses you need to take to reach your education and career goals. Visit Advising or contact One Stop Student Services for more information.
This program requires an internship. This is a wonderful opportunity to apply classroom knowledge and skills acquired in a structured, real-world organization. Find out more.
Financial Aid Available
Did you know that as a student in this program you may be eligible for financial aid? Through grants, scholarships, and loans, more than 60 percent of first-time, full-time CWI students receive some form of financial assistance. To learn more about financial aid options and whether you may be eligible, visit Financial Aid.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for a full-time CWI student averages half the cost of a state university and a third of the cost of a private college. Tuition and fees vary based on program and residence. Visit Tuition and Fees for more information.
This program provides training needed to enter all types of administrative specialist careers. Graduates may find employment with large corporations, small businesses, government organizations, and more.
Administrative assistants often support the work of managers, preparing presentations, managing calls, handling correspondence, and responding to various needs of the business as they arise.
- Executive Secretaries
- Administrative Assistants
- Executive Administrative Assistants
Program Department Chair
- Administrative Specialist
- Advanced Mechatronics Engineering Technology
- Automotive Technology
- Bookkeeping and Accounting
- Cisco Networking and Security Technologies
- Collision Repair Technology
- Computer Support Specialist
- Dental Assisting
- Drafting Technology
- Education, Early Childhood
- Fire Service Management
- Fire Service Technology
- Heavy Duty Truck Technician
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Horticulture Technology
- Law Enforcement
- Machine Tool Technology
- Marketing Communications
- Medical Administrative Support
- Medical Assistant - Credit
- Network and System Administration
- Nursing, Practical
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Powersports and Small Engine Repair Technology
- Professional Truck Driving
- Software Development
- Surgical Technology
- Swift Programming
- Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Welding and Metals Fabrication
- Wildland Fire Management