Bert's Alerts—Aug. 21, 2020
To kick off the 2020-2021 academic year, College of Western Idaho (CWI) faculty, staff, leadership, and trustees gathered via Zoom, Wednesday, Aug. 19, for the annual College Address. Presented virtually for the first time in the College’s history, the address began with a message from CWI Board of Trustee Chairman, Skip Smyser.
“While it definitely looks a lot different to welcome all of you through Zoom this year,” Smyser said, “it is still exciting to gather and celebrate the launch of a new academic year. I say “new” and this year the word “new” definitely takes on a unique meaning – a new way of doing business, a new way of delivering instruction, a new way of working…. I wish you all the very best for a safe and mighty semester!”
Attendees were treated with a video reflecting on the past academic year – a year of firsts. From his backyard office in deep Meridian, sporting a suit coat and sandals, and joined by his furry co-worker, Lewis, Vice President of College Relations, Mark Browning, thanked faculty and staff for their tremendous energy and commitment to students.
“Wow! What a year it has been,” Provost Denise Aberle-Cannata said adding to Browning’s comments. “Instead of giving up, everyone at CWI rose up. I am amazed at the creative planning, teamwork, and sincere effort that was put forth by our faculty and staff to recognize and celebrate all of the accomplishments of Class of 2020. While our celebrations might not have looked normal, they were celebratory, and I still believe gave our students a sense of accomplishment marking very important milestones.”
“To look back and reflect on how our operation and all of our lives changed so quickly and so dramatically, quite honestly brings up some emotion,” said Glandon. “I’m a little speechless, but most of all I am proud.”
Following the video presentation, status of the College’s Brand Refresh project was discussed, a new Employee Wellness Challenge was introduced, and employee awards were announced including CWI’s Staff of the Year, awarded to Stacy Hardy, and Faculty of the Year, awarded to Dave Nicholas. Employees earning five- and 10-year service awards were also recognized.
The address concluded with a Q&A session with members of President’s Cabinet.
“No one really knows what might be next, but we do know this – things will change,” remarked President Glandon. “We need to stay nimble, and we need to stay focused on our students and each other. Support each other, support our students, and keep kindness in the forefront as we keep going. We will be mighty, we will be bold, we will be fearless... this will be our best hour!”
Watch the entire College Address.
College of Western Idaho (CWI) is excited to welcome students back for the Fall 2020 semester! An email communication was sent this week reminding students classes begin Monday, Aug. 24. Important reminders and a checklist for a successful start to the semester, as seen below, were included in the email.
- Check your schedule in MyCWI to review the location and format of your courses.
- CWI recently made changes to the format of some of our courses.
- This video discusses the changes and how to view them on your schedule.
- Check your CWI student email.
Start the Semester Strong
- Login to Blackboard.
- All courses will be live and available in Blackboard on Monday morning, Aug. 24.
- Follow new health and safety protocols when on campus.
- All students, staff, faculty, and guests are REQUIRED to wear a cloth or disposable mask or face covering. This is being strictly enforced for the health and safety of all.
- Be Safe, Be Mighty welcome back kits are being provided to all students when classes begin and will be available at all security desks. Kits include a bottle of hand sanitizer, some sanitizing wipes, and a reusable mask.
- Vending machines will be open as inventory allows.
- Check out our Be Safe, Be Mighty webpage for the most comprehensive and updated information about our policies and protocols aimed at maximizing a learning and working environment.
- In-Person Services Resume for Students
- One Stop Student Services
- In order to reduce density in our facilities, we request that only students or prospective students enter One Stop locations at this time.
- One Stop locations in the Nampa Campus Micron Education Center and the Ada County Campus Lynx Building will be open on Saturday, Aug. 22, from 9 a.m. until noon for any last-minute needs.
- The Bookstore will be open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 22
Here's to a mighty and successful semester!
College of Western Idaho (CWI) is excited to welcome students back to campus for the start of another academic year! In celebration of the new semester, Student Affairs has a number of events planned you won’t want to miss including an online meet and greet, watch parties, trivia, Wellness Wednesdays, and games.
As we head into week two of the semester, all are invited to take a break and reenergize with snacks, balloons, and ice cream trucks during the week of Aug. 31.
Planning to be on campus? Make sure to grab a free Be Safe, Be Mighty kit provided to all students when classes begin which includes a bottle of hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, and a reusable mask. Kits will be available at the entrance to most campus buildings where classes are held, at any security desk, or at Student Affairs in Willow Building C at the Nampa Campus.
Start the 2020-2021 academic year off on the right foot by joining the Culture and Employee Engagement Committee’s (CEEC) Employee Wellness Challenge. The series of 21-day challenges were created to inspire College of Western Idaho employees to begin or continue healthy habits and support overall wellness.
- A new challenge will be introduced each month.
- Each challenge will run the 1st through the 21st of the month September through April.
- Prizes will be awarded monthly to top participants.
- Those who participate in all eight challenges will be entered into the grand prize drawings in May.
21-day challenges will include:
- September – Walk Into Fall
- October – Mindfulness and Yoga
- November – Goodnight
- December – Hydration
- January – Sugar-less
- February – Move More
- March – Springtime, Greens Time
- April – Trails and Wheels
Participation is EASY!
- Sign-up to participate by the 1st of each month.
- Track your progress.
- Submit your participation via an online form.
Ready to get started? Join the fun and learn more by watching for Employee Wellness Challenge news in your email, reading Bert’s Alerts, and visiting the CEEC site on myCWI. Email CEEC@cwi.edu with questions.
Congratulations to Dave Nicholas, an Associate Professor of English, who has been named College of Western Idaho’s Faculty of the Year for 2020. The College’s Faculty of Distinction for February 2020, Nicholas is recognized as a compassionate and hard-working educator who fosters meaningful opportunities for his students.
"I owe so much to my students, colleagues, friends, and family, who have taught me everything," said Nicholas. "All the best parts of me belonged to them first. I share this honor with them."
Congratulations to Stacy Hardy, a Web Developer in the Division of College Relations, who has been named College of Western Idaho’s (CWI) Staff of the Year for 2020. A 2016 CWI graduate and the College’s Staff of the Month for May 2020, Hardy is recognized as a passionate, valuable, and fearless member of her team who possesses a strong sense of integrity.
“I am truly grateful to be a part of the CWI family that has guided me from a non-traditional student to an employee and now to Staff of the Year,” she said. “Thank you to all of my amazing instructors, colleagues, managers, and directors for your guidance and support. I am so proud to be part of the #mightyCWI team where our combined talents and hard work are making a huge difference in our students’ lives and are bettering our community. 2020 has definitely proven to be a challenging year. Despite all the challenges, CWI has been courageous and ground-breaking as we continue to keep moving forward, and that is indeed FEARLESS!”
Sign up to participate in September’s Employee Wellness Challenge, Walk into Fall, by Tuesday, Sept. 1! As a participant of this challenge, your goal will be to walk as much as possible for 21 days, Sept. 1 – 21.
Visit the Culture and Employee Engagement Committee site on myCWI for all the details including:
- how to sign up
- participation requirements
- tracking resources
- submission information
- valuable tips, information, and facts about walking
Submit your participation by Wednesday, Sept. 30, for your chance to win some awesome prizes!
There are no new job postings this week. Employees can access Internal Job Postings or visit Careers at CWI to view all external listings. Upon application submittal, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive an email, check your "Junk/Spam" folder, then email email@example.com to verify receipt of your application.
Welcome to the following individuals who are new to the College. We are happy to have you here and look forward to working with you!
- Sarah Green – Teacher, Basic Skills Education
- Stuart Gustafson – Adjunct Teaching Faculty, Math Solutions Center
- Jeff Larimer – Adjunct Faculty, Geology
- Amanda Rea – Adjunct Faculty, Psychology
- Cody Trosky – Teacher, Fire Service Technology
- Stephen Tyler – Teacher, Fire Service Technology
- Joshua Wheeler – Teacher, Fire Service Technology