Bert's Alerts—April 16, 2021
CWI in the News
Idaho Press: Faces in new places
NAFSA Region 1 Newsletter: Kim Bettencourt Spotlight
Idaho Department of Labor: CWI’s Partnership with Idaho Job Corps Helps Students Thrive
Joshua Oquendo, a Heavy Duty Truck Technician student at College of Western Idaho (CWI), has been named a 2021 New Century Workforce Scholar and will receive a $1,250 scholarship.
“Scholarships have helped me with my mortgage and to pay bills, so I was able to work less and focus on my school and continue to get good grades,” Oquendo said.
Oquendo enjoys the challenge of diagnosing and repairing big trucks and mega engines.
“I like solving problems, and taking things apart and fixing or finding the broken piece and putting them back together and watching them run,” he added. “My classes gave me a lot of exposure to the different systems that we are going to work with on the job. The instructors are great, they really care for the students and want us to succeed in the program, and the curriculum is extensive and detailed.”
New Century Workforce Scholars are selected based on their academic accomplishments, leadership, activities, and how they extend their intellectual talents beyond the classroom. Over 2,000 students were nominated from more than 1,200 college campuses across the country. Only one New Century Workforce Scholar was selected from each state.
This scholarship is the first of its kind to support students at associate degree-granting institutions on a national scale as they plan to enter the workforce upon the completion of a degree or certificate. The program is sponsored by The Coca-Cola Foundation and Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.
“We congratulate Joshua for receiving this prestigious scholarship, and we are honored to partner with The Coca-Cola Foundation to recognize his outstanding achievements,” said Phi Theta Kappa’s President and CEO Dr.
Next month, Oquendo graduates from the Heavy Duty Truck Technician program and he recently started a new job at Western States Cat.
Go BOLD, and register for classes this fall at College of Western Idaho (CWI)! With a variety of resources, flexible course options, and caring instructors, CWI is here to help you on your pathway to success every step of the way.
Priority registration at CWI for the Fall 2021 semester begins Monday, April 12. Priority registration allows continuing students a chance to enroll in classes ahead of open registration, helping students stay on track for graduation.
Following are a few tips for current students:
- Be sure to meet with your Student Success Advisor prior to registering. Once advising is completed, students can register online any time on or after their assigned registration time.
- Registration times are assigned based on cumulative credits earned. Students can check myCWI and their CWI email for their assigned time.
- Continuing students are considered those who enrolled and attended classes any semester since fall 2019.
- Dual Credit students will register during open registration.
New and Returning Students
Open Registration for all students, including new and returning, begins Monday, April 19.
- All new, degree-seeking students must participate in New Student Orientation prior to registering for classes.
Join us next week to help prepare College of Western Idaho’s Campus Garden, located at the Nampa Campus Academic Building, for planting. Work in the garden will include working the soil, mapping out space, setting up irrigation, placing signage, and planting a handful of early vegetable varieties, including peas, carrots, onions, Brussel sprouts, and radishes.
Garden helpers can come and go as they please on the workdays and times listed below. Small snacks will be provided.
Wednesday, April 21
10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Thursday, April 22
11:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Contact Andrea Schumaker with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As we prepare to wrap up the last 21-day challenge of the academic year, the Employee Wellness Challenge series has one more opportunity for you to push yourself and be a part of the CWI community! The We Otter Get Moving Virtual Fun Run and Walk brings together what we have learned from each 21-day challenge to celebrate all we have accomplished.
Participation is easy!
- Sign up by Wednesday, May 19
- Choose your distance – 5k or 10k
- Complete your run or walk any time on Saturday, May 22
- Use an app or device to track your 5k or 10k distance and time
- Submit your participation by Tuesday, May 25, including a picture of the device showing the completion of your run or walk including distance and time. If you do not have a smartphone or watch to track your distance and time, see the We Otter Get Moving site on myCWI for alternative options.
Participants who submit their participation showing completion of their run or walk will be entered to win a variety of prizes. The first 50 employees who submit their participation on May 22 will receive a free CWI t-shirt with the new CWI branding! Want to get your family involved? Submit a picture of your family completing the event together and be entered to win a fun activity pack from the Discovery Center.
More details, instructions, and training resources can be found on the We Otter Get Moving site on myCWI.
Open enrollment for medical, dental, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) will be held April 26 through May 14, 2021, for all benefit-eligible College of Western Idaho (CWI) employees. The new plan year begins July 1, 2021.
Open enrollment is your chance to:
- Enroll or re-enroll in the FSA program for the 2022 fiscal year – FSA plans do not automatically renew year-to-year.
- Change your medical plan type (PPO, Traditional, High Deductible).
- Add dependents to dental care coverage.
- Switch premium deductions from post-tax to pre-tax or vice-versa.
- As a reminder, dependents can be added or removed from medical coverage at any point during the year.
Open enrollment forms:
- Forms will be available Monday, April 26, on the Human Resources Employee Resources site on myCWI.
- Forms can be signed electronically.
- Open enrollment forms are due Friday, May 14, at 5 p.m., and will be accepted via email or in-person at the Human Resources office located at the Nampa Campus Administration Building.
- Exceptions will not be made for those who miss the May 14 deadline.
Have a quick question about your benefits?
During the open enrollment period, Human Resources will be holding drop-in Q&A forums via Zoom for those with questions about open enrollment and/or CWI’s benefits.
Save the date!
Learn more about the benefits available to you by attending CWI's Virtual Benefit Fair, April 23 – May 13. At the virtual benefits fair you can access updated plan and rate information for the new plan year, view informative videos, attend webinars, review FAQs, and access open enrollment forms.
Contact Human Resources at HRBenefits@cwi.edu with questions.
Are you interested in playing a part in staff governance at College of Western Idaho (CWI)? Do you know a colleague who would do great in this role? If so, please consider nominating yourself and/or a colleague to serve on Staff Senate. Staff Senate nominations for 2021-2022 will be open Wednesday, April 28, through Wednesday, May 5, 2021. Three officer and eight senator positions are up for election.
The CWI Staff Association consists of all part-time and full-time benefited, non-faculty employees serving at a director level or below. Staff Senate is made up of three officers and 10 senators. Each elected senator must have been employed at the College for at least one year prior to beginning their term. Newly-elected officers and senators will serve for two years – June 1, 2021 through May 31, 2023.
- Vice President
- Four (4) Staff Senators – Instruction and Enrollment and Student Services
- Two (2) Staff Senators – Operations (IT, Facilities, Institutional Research)
- Two (2) Staff Senators – Business Office, Human Resources, College Relations
- Nominations open Wednesday, April 28, and close Wednesday, May 5.
- If you are interested in serving or would like to nominate a colleague for Staff Senate, please email email@example.com.
- In your email, indicate which seat you are interested in or nominating a colleague for.
- Participation in Staff Senate requires supervisor approval. Approval will be verified prior to placing names on the ballot.
Contact Staff Senate at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or with questions.
Mark your calendars for College of Western Idaho’s (CWI) sixth-annual Connections Project event Thursday, April 29, at noon on CWI's Facebook page and YouTube channel. This year’s live-streamed event will recognize winners of the Connections Excellence Awards, Juried Art Show, and President’s Writing Awards.
In acknowledgement of our 2021 graduates, College of Western Idaho will live stream its 12th commencement ceremony Friday, May 14, beginning at 6 p.m. on CWI's Live Events page, Facebook page and YouTube channel! Plan to celebrate with us in recognition of this year’s degree and certificate and Workforce Development apprenticeship graduates.
Graduates are invited to participate in the live-streamed ceremony by submitting a photo and quote for their personalized slide. Each graduate will receive an email from email@example.com on behalf of the CWI’s Registrar’s Office with directions for submissions which are due April 27. Phonetic pronunciation submissions are due April 20. Regalia is available to purchase online through the Bookstore.
Graduates are encouraged to check their student email account, the CWI newsroom, the College’s social media channels, and the Graduation webpage regularly for announcements and up-to-date information. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Congratulations to all our 2021 graduates! You made it!
Documentation of the receipt of all packages delivered to College of Western Idaho (CWI) is now required, effective immediately. This process will allow the College to have recorded documentation of all goods being purchased by and delivered to campus.
Please refer to the flowchart included below which contains detailed instructions on how this process will be implemented campus-wide.
Contact Renee Watson in the Business Office at email@example.com with questions.
College of Western Idaho (CWI) Board of Trustees announced during their monthly meeting on Thursday, March 11, the opening of the application process to fill a recently-vacated trustee position.
If you live in CWI’s Zone 3 district and would like to apply for the Board opening – visit the Board of Trustee Vacancy and Appointment Process webpage highlighting the eligibility criteria, application materials, and the submission process. Applications will be accepted through April 30, 2021. Applications are subject to Idaho’s Public Records Law.
“The Board is excited to receive applications from those interested in serving as a trustee,” said Board Chair Molly Lenty. “We know there are many dedicated leaders within Zone 3 who strive to serve students and our community, and we welcome additional skills and expertise to the College through their service on the Board.”
Please contact 208.562.2222 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Employees can access Internal Job Postings or visit Careers at CWI to view all external listings. Upon application submittal, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive an email, check your "Junk/Spam" folder, then email email@example.com to verify receipt of your application.
Welcome to the following individuals who are new to the College. We are happy to have you here and look forward to working with you!
- Alicia Griffith – Adjunct Faculty, Health
- Matthew Duran – Adjunct Faculty, Health
- Damian Valle – Enrollment Counselor, Enrollment and Student Services
- Mwange Salome – Teacher, Basic Skills Education
- Reilly Cronyn – Writing Tutor, Learning Commons
- Tanner Duff – Industry Teacher, EMT
- Tschan Morse – Industry Teacher, EMT