Professional Licensure and Online Programs

Professional Licensure

In compliance with the U.S. Department of Education CWI provides information pertaining to professional licensure and certification in correlation with programs offered through CWI. 

Requirements for professional licensure in fields such as health care and other fields vary from state to state. If you live outside Idaho and are considering enrolling in a College of Western Idaho (CWI) program that leads to a professional license, we highly recommended that you contact the appropriate state licensing agency in your state or the state where you intend to work to seek the most up-to-date information about state licensure requirements before beginning the program.

College of Western Idaho makes every effort to ensure licensure information is current; however, licensure regulations are frequently revised.

The following is recommended BEFORE beginning a program if you are considering a CWI program that leads to professional licensure with the intent to be licensed outside of the state of Idaho: 

  • Review the licensing information provided for the applicable program(s) below 
  • Contact the appropriate licensing agency in the U.S. states and territories where licensure is intended. This will enable you to obtain the most up-to-date information about licensure requirements and confirm how a CWI program meets those requirements. 
  • Additionally, while progressing through any of these programs, we recommended that you check licensing agency requirements regularly to monitor whether any licensure requirements have been updated and or changed that could impact your ability to obtain the appropriate license. 

To learn more, please review the licensure information provided for the program of interest.


A State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is an agreement among its member states, districts and U.S. territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance-education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions in a state other than the one where they reside. SARA is overseen by a national council and administered by four regional higher education compacts, MHEC, NEBHE, SREB and WICHE. The four SARA agreements of those compacts are collectively treated as a plural, the Agreements. 

CWI is a member of the National Council of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). Please visit for a list of NC-SARA states.

College of Western Idaho is regulated by the Idaho State Board of Education and is a member of NC-Sara.

Idaho State Board of Education
650 West State Street, 3rd Floor
Boise, Idaho 83702

T: 208.334.2270
F: 208.334.2632