Planned Gifts

You are here

Planned giving is the thoughtful process of providing support to your favorite charitable causes in regards to your personal financial and estate planning. Many planned gifts create permanent endowments for continual support of scholarships, academic departments, and faculty research.

Planned gifts include current gifts of cash and other assets such as stock, business interests, real estate, personal property (artwork, collections), and equipment. Or, you can leave a legacy with deferred gifts from your estate through a bequest in a will, trust, life insurance or retirement plan.

    IRAs and Other Retirement Plans

    You can designate the CWI Foundation as a beneficiary of part or all the remainder of your IRA or retirement plan.

    Life Insurance

    You can make a substantial gift by naming the CWI Foundation as a beneficiary or owner of your life insurance policy. Often, donating life insurance enables you to make a larger gift to the institute than you otherwise could.

    • First, consult with your tax professional and legal counsel prior to proceeding.
    • If you have an existing fully-paid life insurance policy that is no longer needed to protect your children, your spouse, or your business interest, you can name the CWI Foundation as the policy's beneficiary.
    • Next, contact your insurance company to obtain a designated beneficiary form and name "College of Western Idaho Foundation" as one of your beneficiaries.
    • Allow us to recognize you by informing us of your gift.

    Joan and Mel former CWI students.

    Joan and Mel

    "Mel and I started our educations at the community college and persisted to the doctoral level. At no step of our education did we receive a higher quality of instruction than we did at the community college with their engaged faculty and egalitarian philosophy—thus our choice of legacy institution."

    Need More Info?

    *Gifts made to the CWI Foundation are tax deductible (Tax ID# 27-1159705) to the full extent allowed by law. Consult your tax professional for advice on your personal tax situation.