Nursing (Professional) - RN Program

It has been years since I completed most of my college courses - what specific courses would you suggest I take?

Starting in Fall 2018 (Spring 2018 application), Math, Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2, and Microbiology must all be taken within the last 7 years of the time you apply.  If you're unsure of which other courses to take we recommend meeting with your advisor.

My Health Science progress report already has a math course listed under the math requirements section. I want to use a different math course for my nursing application. Can I do that?

You can use any GEM 3 course that you have completed with a 'C' or higher as long as it is listed on your Health Science Progress Report.  Circle the course you would like to use on the application.

Once accepted into the AS in Professional Nursing Program what kind of grades do I need to maintain to pass?

At the very least, you will need a "C" or better in every course, as well as a 75% test average, and a "Pass" in every clinical/lab experience to progress to the next semester.

Once admitted, how long is the Associate of Professional Nursing program?

The Associate of Science in Professional Nursing Program is 4 sequential semesters (fall & spring only) or 2 academic years, starting every fall semester.

What are the pre-requisites to the AS Professional Nursing Program?

There are currently no pre-requisite courses for this program.  However, many classes give you points toward your application if they are complete.  Please review the AS Professional Nursing Application for information on how points are calculated. This program is a competitive program...

What if I am almost done with my pre and co-requisites, I have submitted my application, and I am waiting to find out if I have been accepted?

Until you are accepted into a Healthcare Program at CWI, you may declare your major as Heath Science. All the AS in Professional Nursing courses that are needed to apply to the program are included within the Health Science degree.

What is the process for demonstrating current competency in math and science courses that are older than 7 years?

The following information is provided as a guideline.  For assistance in this process, please work with your assigned Student Success Advisor.

Math Class Option

For students to show competency in math courses that are seven (7) years or older, students may choose to do the...

When can I apply for the Professional Nursing program?

Applications for CWI's Professional Nursing program are accepted once each year. Visit the Professional Nursing program page to learn more about the supplemental application process and important dates and deadlines. 

Where will my clinical experiences be?

Clinical experience sites are arranged through a series of coordinated efforts with other facilities and schools throughout the Treasure Valley and beyond. Students do not choose where or when their clinical experiences will be and there is a possibility that occasionally a clinical experience...

Will you help us get a job after graduation?

The Professional Nursing Program may write letters of recommendation and post job openings. Additionally, numerous resources are available to assist you in your job search and resume writing through your advisor.

Dental Assisting - CTE Program

Can I still work while in the Dental Assisting Program?

The Dental Assisting program curriculum is demanding but achievable for students who have made arrangements and are organized. Students should not attempt to work during the week. Working students often have a hard time keeping grades up. “A” students become “B” students...

How do I get started in the Dental Assisting program?

The Dental Assisting program at College of Western Idaho requires a supplemental application process in addition to completing the College's admission application. Visit the...

How long is the Dental Assisting Program once I get admitted?

The Dental Assisting program is 11 months, beginning in the Fall or Spring Semester, with a maximum of 24 students.

In the Dental Assisting program do students work on real patients?

Dental Assisting program students are required to recruit their own patients. Students will need four adult x-ray patients, people with whom to practice teaching oral hygiene, and patients to place sealants and perform coronal polish on. No charge is made to the volunteer patients, and it is the...