How do I know if I need counseling?
There are many reasons a student might contact Counseling and Wellness Services:
- Grief & loss
- Depression, stress
- Drug & alcohol concerns
- Suicidal ideation/concerns/behavior
- Housing insecurity
- Basic needs insecurity
Things to watch for that might indicate a need for counseling include:
- Feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness, depressed mood, poor self-esteem, or guilt.
- Withdrawing from friends, family, and activities you used to enjoy.
- Changes in eating or sleeping patterns. Are you sleeping all the time or having trouble falling asleep? Are you gaining weight or never hungry?
- Anger, rage, or craving revenge. Are you overreacting to criticism?
- Restless, irritable, agitated, or anxious movements or behaviors.
- More crying than usual.
- Neglect of personal care. Have you stopped caring about your appearance or stopped keeping up with your personal hygiene?
- Thoughts about death or suicide.
- 1 of 3