New Student Guide
You are here
The College of Western Idaho (CWI) has many systems in place to provide students with a helpful, interactive learning environment. As a new student, there are some steps you should take to prepare your system accounts for use in the coming semesters.
Change Your Password
New students must set a custom password before accessing any CWI services, such as myCWI, student email, and Blackboard. To set a custom password, follow these steps:
- Using an Internet browser, go to the Logon Help system at: logonhelp.cwi.edu/
- Click Change Password, and complete the form to change your password.
- In most cases, your username will follow the format of [preferred name][last name]. Default passwords follow the format of [first initial, capitalized][last initial, capitalized]logon[last four digits of Social Security Number].
- For example, a user with a preferred name of "John", a last name of "Smith", and a Social Security Number of "123-45-6789" will have a username of johnsmith and a default password of JSlogon6789.
- If you are presented with the message "Invalid username or password", please confirm you are entering your username and password correctly.
- If you are presented with the message "The new password and the confirmation do not match", please confirm you are entering the same value in the New password and Confirm password fields.
- If you are presented with the message "The server is unwilling to process the request", please confirm your new password conforms to the complexity requirements listed above the form.
If you are unable to change your password by following these steps, please contact the Help Desk. Be prepared to provide a description of the steps you followed and any error messages returned to you. Contact the Help Desk
Confirm Access to myCWI
MyCWI is the system students use to view and manage all aspects of their student profile, including course registration, enrollment status, financial assistance, grades, and transcripts. Access to this system is very important, and you should confirm your ability to access it. You can log on by following these steps:
- Using an Internet browser, go to: my.cwi.edu
- Enter your domain account username and custom password, and then click Logon.
If you are unable to access myCWI by following the above steps, or you experience technical difficulty while using the system, please: Contact the Help Desk
For questions regarding the use of myCWI or your student profile, please: Contact One-Stop Student Services
Confirm Access to Blackboard
Blackboard is the academic suite College of Western Idaho instructors use to manage their classes and enhance learning. Your instructor may post supplemental resources, such as pictures, videos, or links to relevant web pages, and will likely administer quizzes and tests through this system. Access to Blackboard is essential for success in your courses, and you should confirm your ability to access it. Follow these steps to log on:
- Using an Internet browser, go to: https://blackboard.cwi.edu
- Enter your domain account username and custom password, and then click Login.
If you are unable to access Blackboard by following the above steps, or you experience technical difficulty while using the system, please: Contact the Help Desk
If you have questions regarding course material or assignments, please contact your instructor.
Confirm Access to Student Email
The College of Western Idaho provides students with email accounts through Microsoft Office 365. This account will be your primary method of communication with your instructors, and important updates from the College will be sent here. Access to this account is both essential and helpful, so you should confirm your ability to access it.
Your email address will be your username, followed by "@my.cwi.edu". For example, a user with the username of johnsmith would have an email address of email@example.com.
To log on, follow these steps:
- Using an Internet browser, go to: http://mail.cwi.edu.
- Enter your full email address in the format of firstname.lastname@example.org and your custom password, and then click Sign in.
- The first time you log on, you will be prompted for account configuration options. Set these options appropriately, and then continue.
If you are unable to access your student email account by following the above steps, please: Contact the Help Desk.